Help handing notice in

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hbirdette292

Reaction score
Hello, hope everyone is surviving amongst all this chaos at the moment.
I’m hoping for some advice as I’m unsure what to do!
last month I was about to hand my notice in... no problem whatsoever until the government announced a lockdown so I was no longer in work. So haven’t seen my boss for 4 weeks

I’ve been renting my chair for 11 years and just not happy at work anymore - I’m pretty sure my boss knows I’m unhappy too as she asked if I’m ok on a number of occasions
Here is my predicament - I have never signed a contract so I’m not sure what to do in terms of notice. In an ideal world I want to hand my notice in with immediate effect - if I have never been made to sign a contract is this something I can do?
thanks in advance x

Hello, hope everyone is surviving amongst all this chaos at the moment.
I’m hoping for some advice as I’m unsure what to do!
last month I was about to hand my notice in... no problem whatsoever until the government announced a lockdown so I was no longer in work. So haven’t seen my boss for 4 weeks

I’ve been renting my chair for 11 years and just not happy at work anymore - I’m pretty sure my boss knows I’m unhappy too as she asked if I’m ok on a number of occasions
Here is my predicament - I have never signed a contract so I’m not sure what to do in terms of notice. In an ideal world I want to hand my notice in with immediate effect - if I have never been made to sign a contract is this something I can do?
thanks in advance x
Was there a verbal contract between you? Do you remember any terms that were set?

Was there a verbal contract between you? Do you remember any terms that were set?
Nope nothings ever been set... when people have left in the past she has asked them to go straight away but literally nothing has ever been said to me!

If you're not open anyway, then I would think you can hand in notice now, even dated from the first day of shut down, with an effective date a month, or 2 weeks later.
How often do you pay your rent? You'd probably need to give the same amount of notice. Which may mean you'll be charged for the time that you've been closed anyway.

What was your exit strategy previous to this?

I would assume that as you have no contract or any form of written agreement then you could give her notice with immediate effect. There is nothing legally stopping you and Hopefully you can find somewhere you like in the future :)

If you're not open anyway, then I would think you can hand in notice now, even dated from the first day of shut down, with an effective date a month, or 2 weeks later.
How often do you pay your rent? You'd probably need to give the same amount of notice. Which may mean you'll be charged for the time that you've been closed anyway.

What was your exit strategy previous to this?
I pay my rent weekly, although I’m not being expected to pay my rent whilst the salon is shut at least.
My exit strategy prior to this was to give 2 weeks notice with the expectation she might have asked my to leave straight away. Luckily the salon I’m moving to, the owner is very understanding and been very helpful but just wanted an outsiders perspective!
I took all my kit/colour/belongings home with me anyway so I just would have to drop my keys back off to her. I think I just need to pluck up the courage to contact her to give my notice in!

I would assume that as you have no contract or any form of written agreement then you could give her notice with immediate effect. There is nothing legally stopping you and Hopefully you can find somewhere you like in the future :)
I’m glad you’re in agreement as that is where I believe I stand too! I don’t wish to fall Out with my current boss but have a feeling she will be pretty gutted but have to put myself first for a change

thank you, I’ve found a lovely salon which I’m so excited to work at

You can only do it, and see what the response is!!
You've nothing to lose as you've got all your gear and your new salon is ready once they're open.

Go for it mate, best of luck.

Could you just say ideally you would look to leave straight away but you understand if she wants you to work a short notice period and assuming you have a good working situation she should appreciate that? That way you haven't gave her the option to say she wants you to work a month notice etc

I think now is an ideal time to tell her and say that after lockdown you won’t be coming back, thank her for the opportunity and walk away

You can only do it, and see what the response is!!
You've nothing to lose as you've got all your gear and your new salon is ready once they're open.

Go for it mate, best of luck.
Thank you! What’s the worst that could happen eh?! I’ll let you know how it goes

I think now is an ideal time to tell her and say that after lockdown you won’t be coming back, thank her for the opportunity and walk away
I think you’re right! Thanks for the advice.

Could you just say ideally you would look to leave straight away but you understand if she wants you to work a short notice period and assuming you have a good working situation she should appreciate that? That way you haven't gave her the option to say she wants you to work a month notice etc
Yeah that’s a good point, fingers crossed I won’t have to!

Little update... handed my notice in today, phew! My boss took it so much more positively than I thought she would, very supportive in actual fact & understood my reasons. Thanks for all your advice everyone ☺️

Latest posts

Back