Help please on sanitisation - just qualified!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVA

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just joined so looking forward to getting involved and learning new things ;-)

I completed a mani & pedi course a few months ago but haven't been able to practice as yet due to illness and home commitments. I'm just in the process of buying a kit so I can start practising initially on friends and family....

I'm slightly confused about sanitisation of tools and wanted some advice as I'm not entirely convinced my trainer has told me the right info having watched some online videos and also read other things.

I'd be grateful for some info on what you other experienced nail techs do and use please ;-)

Initial hand sanitisation - Any specific hand gels that are good? Assume you use for yourself and client. I'm probably going to be mobile at first. Tutor told me I would sanitise clients nails with NAS99 and nail polish remover?
Tools - I was told to use Barbacide once a week but then take NAS99 with me to use to spray tools after each client. Tutor said I can spray emery boards too with this to sanitise but from what I've read online emery boards cannot be sanitised so should be thrown after each client? Is this correct? What happens with the Pedi foot file. How is this sanitised?

My tutor doesn't use hand bowl for mani, she just uses the pink OPI hand gel to remove cuticles. What would you recommend? If using a bowl what soak and cuticle remover do you use? Do you put cuticle remover on first then soak nails or after?

Any advice on products you like using at each stage would be great too, as I'm all new to this and was thinking of OPI products as I've liked them in the past.

When applying products such as cuticle remover gels do you use orange sticks topped with cotton wool to avoid contamination?

Look forward to hearing from you :)

Hey I use mundo file spray when on the go as it's quick and kills everything on the move! Maybe look into further training with a good company, if you feel you weren't taught well, I would recommend CND if you look up a company called sweet squared on line they will have the info, xxx

Doesn't sound like anything your trainer has said is incorrect. I would definately recommend getting the mundo spray sanitiser for abrasives, much better value than using up you NAS99.

Soaking during manicures is not generally taught in modern courses as it is not helpful to 'swell' the nail plate, particularly if a gel or polish are then going to be applied. so doing 'dry' cuticle work using a gel cuticle remover is good practice.

I think you would find this thread useful:

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/182520-science-topic-sanitation-salon.html

If you have been taught OPI procedures and are planning on using their products I would stick with what your tutor has taught you for now. Different systems do things slightly differently so until you are a bit more experienced you maybe are getting yourself confused with different ways of doing things without knowing the reason why?

Thanks that's really helpful, I will get some mundo file spray then!

Latest posts

Back