High street decline

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallandcute

Reaction score
As im sure a lot of you are aware that earlier this week it was announced that there would be a million jobs lost in retail due to the decline of trade on the high street and move to online shopping.

Now i know a lot of you have also said over the past few years that retailing to clients has become a lot harder due to them being able to purchase products online a cheaper price then with yourselves.

However has anyone noticed a decline in clients due to a lesser high street or have they remained the same and if they are leaving are they going to home based salons or having moblie therapists and hairdressers go to their home?

And what would you like to happen to high streets to ensure that you remain competative both with treatments and with retailing to clients?

Maybe i think too much but as small to medium businesses i do wonder how the changing retailing landscape is effecting us and what we can do to protect and develop ourselves.

I think it's true to be said that if you go to any high street up and down the country, you'll see vacant shops. I think many businesses (as well as consumers) are ditching the high street due to the high costs.

For businesses, the rent in most towns is unbelievably high and the extra foot fall doesn't warrant the expense.
For consumers, you are right in pointing out that most will shop online and get it cheaper.

I think many businesses opt for a way of trading from home or mobile to keep over heads down and offering, not cheap, but fair pricing to clients which they're happy to pay. It works providing you get your marketing and online presence spot on.

I think the only way the high street will be rejuvenated is by landlords dropping their rents and estate agents dropping their fees (however this is an issue as most estate agents rent units which again, they need to cover the overheads for).

What I will say is that moving from Essex to the West Country the drastic change in town centres is massive. My local town, now maybe smaller however it is far busier with less empty units. When I went back to visit family before Christmas, the town centre was dead on a Saturday. One whole half of the town is practically closed down with all empty units and the only shops that are open, are established chains and 99p/£1 shops. I think their is 4 or 5 of them all within 1-2 minute walk of each other. Madness.

Been like this for decades where I live. It all moved to the out of town malls, leaving very little behind. Entirely, 100% the fault of local government imo (business rates, overpriced parking etc).

But I don't think it affects businesses like hair and beauty, those who want to go to a salon will d so and those who want a home treatment or visit a home based therapist will go there.

We're not on the high Street so footfall has never been something we've had. All our clients seem to enjoy their trip to the countryside but totally agree with banner penguin in that marketing is a big part of our budget x

As im sure a lot of you are aware that earlier this week it was announced that there would be a million jobs lost in retail due to the decline of trade on the high street and move to online shopping.

Now i know a lot of you have also said over the past few years that retailing to clients has become a lot harder due to them being able to purchase products online a cheaper price then with yourselves.

However has anyone noticed a decline in clients due to a lesser high street or have they remained the same and if they are leaving are they going to home based salons or having moblie therapists and hairdressers go to their home?

And what would you like to happen to high streets to ensure that you remain competative both with treatments and with retailing to clients?

Maybe i think too much but as small to medium businesses i do wonder how the changing retailing landscape is effecting us and what we can do to protect and develop ourselves.

There really is NO COMPARISON between the hair salons in the '80's & 90's.
They were banged out and buzzing......
TODAY......
TUMBLE WEED........:(

REASON:
TOO MANY OF US.
MOBILES/LOG CABINS/HOME WORKERS
CUT PRICING
DIFFERENT CULTURAL DEMOGRAPHIC
CHANGING PRIORITIES
'YOU TUBE'
LACK OF PROFESSIONALISM = NO RESPECT= MIGHT AS WELL DO IT THEMSELVES!!!!!:p

Latest posts