Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) and Gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BitsyProspect

Reaction score
I promised to update on an earlier thread concerning medications and now I can't find the thread!
I have had a hard gel overlay (CND Brisa) on my nails since June of this year with no lifting issues. My natural nails have grown long and strong underneath and I absolutely love my long nails!
Three weeks ago, I started HRT on the lowest dosage available to me and now my overlays are all lifting! I noticed the lifting starting about a week ago and they are not going to last. It is as if they didn't adhere at all and I can slide my nail right underneath. There is lifting at the cuticle and pockets at the apex that appear to be still sealed in but none at the free edge. They have been perfect up to about a week ago and I have done nothing different in my day to day life and I always wear gloves when cleaning or doing dishes.

The point to this post is a first hand testimonial that HRT does cause lifting. It is not a scientific lab controlled experiment but a real life, real nail tech experiment. I was very careful with my nails during this time so I would be sure to know the cause if it happened.... and it did :(. My dosage will probably be increased so it could happen faster...

Now, I have a new experiment. I now know that gel will not adhere but will acrylic? I have never had acrylic on my nails but in the next day or so, I will remove what is left of the Brisa Gel and apply an Acrylic overlay. I have OPI Clarite and will update accordingly with before and after photos.

I found this so interesting. I love hearing about these types of issues first hand.

Would love to hear how you get on with acrylic as well.

Must be devastating for you though. I went through a similar situation but mine was allergy related, I could have cried.

Fingers crossed you have some luck with the acrylic. Best Wishes

Hopefully it's a one off and if you try again your nails will last. I've been on HRT for 5 years and CND shellac lasts with no problem.

It'll be interesting to hear from more nail techs for their experiences.

Latest posts

Back