How did you know you wanted to become a hairstylist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skynoms

Reaction score
Hello! I am a junior in high school and I am always flip-flopping with what I want to do in the future. I have gone to being a teacher, a veterinarian, a zoologist, and all types of careers. At the moment, I have an interest in being a hairstylist for my future career.

I am not a genius at doing my own hair--usually just throwing my hair, which is in the awkward stages of growing out, in a ponytail or a messy blob of hair before school since it isn't that important (as in I'm not trying to impress anyone!). My hair isn't perfect, my skills aren't perfect--but I am practicing and hopefully will get more practice once my hair grows out and I have more to work with.

I do have an interest in other people's hairstyles. I sometimes have to stop myself from staring at people who have nice styles that really suit them, and I internally make critiques on what hair color and style would suit someone versus what they have now, and how they can take better care of their hair (it is a bit rude but I only do it in my thoughts).

You may be confused as to how I got from watching to be a zoologist to a hairstylist. I can understand that. Overall, I want my career to be fun. I want to be creative (which I am) and work with my hands and make someone feel good about themselves. I would love to experience the feeling of completing a hairstyle and it looking amazing on someone. My hairdresser is wonderful. She is a master at her craft, she is nice, gives healthy criticism on styles I may want, helps me pick happy-mediums, and is a style-queen in my opinion. She is the main reason why I started thinking about hair-styling as a career. She also knows a lot about the scientific side of hair and hair care--which I think it really cool. Especially since I like science--even though I may not be a chemistry genius (math is not my forte).

I suppose I should wrap this up. Anyways, what I am asking is, how did you know that you definitely wanted to do hair for a living? Were you gifted in the creative art of hair-styling? Or did you really need to practice? Are you good with your hands/do you need to be good with your hands?

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong section--I just made an account. I am not a looking for consumer advice so I didn't know where to put this question. I will delete and move this if I placed it in the wrong place--so please tell me if I did.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hey Hun
I wanted to be a lawyer from age 8 through to 15ish.
When I was 14 I got a Saturday job in my hairdressers I originally just took the job for the extra cash and thought it would be great experience dealing with the public. I found myself falling in love with the job and the trade so decided I wanted to do it for a living. Now I'm coming up 20 and have a home salon and still love my job. Try getting a Saturday job means you can see if you like it or not. Hairdressing is hard work but totally worth it good luck xx

Thank you!

Sent from my SGH-T399N using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree with previous poster, i wanted to be an english teacher until I was 16! Then my mum pushed me to do my a-levels, which I didn't enjoy, which in turn put me off uni. My year was also interestingly the year when the fees went up! Then I got a Saturday job and loved it, and it all went upwards from there :)

Love being able to create something from nothing, it's a good feeling to have a trade, because you can always do other things then come back to it! Definitely get a Saturday job first to see if it's a career path that you'd truly like to go down, because it is very much hard work at times! Xx

Thank you!

I also started off with a Saturday job too, I didn't even get paid for like a year just went and helped cause I loved it :) I originally wanted to be a history teacher lol

I wanted to be a hairdresser as a kid, always playing with hair. My own, barbies, friends, my poor sister. At 14 I did the Saturday thing and hated it! I didn't like making tea or sweeping the floor, I didn't like how the staff made fun of me and didn't like how uncomfortable I felt around the clients. Maybe I was too immature and lacked too much self confidence. So I went off and got a normal job on a production line and finished school. I tried doing theatrical and media make up along with wig making, being the only 16 year old on an over 18's (suggested requirement not strict) course was hard, They let me on due to loving my GCSE art portfolio. I didn't complete it. Started a fine art degree, didn't complete. I had children then went back to college as to train in hair with a friend who lasted 2 days. Here I am 7 years later with hair and beauty qualifications. Been doing mobile, just as practice first, all the way and adding my beauty services as I earned them. I have interviews for 2 places coming up, one is a 5* hotel and spa, the other a new venture in our town. I couldn't be happier, I think about doing other things all the time but then it never seems quite as exciting or interesting as what I do now. The science side pleases my weird need for knowledge and the prac side pleases my creativity and arty side.
Sorry for the long ramble, just wanted to show that if you really have an interest in something, even if your skills feel a bit stunted it awkward at first, you will get there. I'm nowhere near as skilled or experienced as lots of geeks on here and that pleases me too because that means there is more to come. You go into an apprenticeship or college or start as a Saturday girl for a reason, to learn. So don't worry if you feel a bit naff right now, passion is key. It sounds like you have plenty.

I've wanted to be all sorts! Wanted to go into business before I started hairdressing. Did my first year of a-levels whilst having my Saturday job at my present salon. Doing the Saturday job made me realise I wanted to become a hairdresser and I'm now near the end of my training and I absolutely love it!!!

Thank you. I will ask my hairdresser if I can volunteer!

Latest posts

Back