How do I become and Educator??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feevis

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

hoping somebody can help.

I am very keen to become a tutor for nail courses whether it is in a college or through a company or even to start up a business doing this for myself. However, I have no clue how to go about this.

I figure I will need a good bit of experience so it is certainly a few years down the line.

I started my training with Essential Nails and have gained a few certificates with them this has allowed me to gain the basics of the nail industry. I am now starting college on Wednesday evening to complete an NQ nail care course and then in January im going to another college to complete and HN unit in artificial nail extensions. To work in a salon im aware I need the NVQ qualification

So now that ive completed my foundation (essential nails) then moving onto my college NVQ and higher National unit, where do i go from there?? I understand I still need to continue to learn and expand and also gain salon experience. I also spend a lot of time researching everything and anything about the industry and different types of companies, different products, keep up to date with HABIA etc.

Is there any other qualification I need specific to do this, like tutor training or something? and how do I go about setting up my own training classes legally .

this is quite a long post but I always tend to rabble, apologies lol

Would love to hear from as many people as possible, would be greatly appreciated :)

You will have to do the PTLLS training. This is a course available at many colleges that prepares you for teaching. Contact your local college for more information x

The guild also do the teacher training certificate (ptlls)

Beauty Guild : Guild PTLLS Teacher Training Course

It's an online course run once a month for a week. It may be cheaper to do at a local college. Jus depends whats more convenient for you.

After this you can write your own courses. You will then need to get the course accredited by a professional body. This makes it insurable. Heres a link to guild accreditation

Beauty Guild : Downloads - Beauty Guild

Good luck x

Thank you for the info,i had no clue i needed extra training lol super replies :)

I am hoping to do the PTTLS soon. It costs £270 at my local college for one day a week for 12 weeks, so I find the Guilds price quite expensive for half of that.

What also concerns me in the Q&A section where it asks about recognition of the course, is that the Guild recommends you enquire about this at your local FE college which means it might not be recognized?

I also think you need to decide if an on line course is right for you. Personally I feel more comfortable with a class room situation where I can talk face to face with my tutor and fellow students.

I'm not knocking the Guild here (I am a member) but just offering an opinion from a different angle.

Thanks for your input i will take everything into consideration

Latest posts

Back