How do I cover very dark circles?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoSu

Reaction score
I have a client who has very dark circles under her eyes (as well as a bit of puffiness) and has a sallow skin in general. I use Jane Iredale Mineral make up and have tried everything from Circle Delete right through to the camoflage pallet and nothing seems to cover them completely!! It just looks like an ashy pale green on her skin and you can still notice the darkness.

Is there anything else I could try? I don't want it to look 'cakey' either, as can well be the case if you start layering product. My client is 36 and therefore minor fine lines.

Any ideas????

How about Mac Pro Longwear concealer

How about Mac Pro Longwear concealer
Do you use it yourself? Can it be used directly under the eyes and therefore does it have great coverage without looking cakey?

Would like to try it but have wasted so much money buying products that promise the earth and don't deliver and have invested a lot of money in the JI Mineral range...but at the same time do not feel that it offers that something which will do the job for this particular client. Will have a look into the Mac one.

Thanks for your suggestion x

Yellow corrector and a very light concealer. I use Combat Cosmetics I find liquid seaps into crapy bits and powders that are too powdery don't work well, Combat is light and slightly dewy due to the Manuka honey I get a really good result with it. Zingy lemon all under the eye and porcelaine concealer in a V shape underneath the dark circles and across the top of the cheekbones to "bring it out" and then dust over with powder foundation to blend.
Xx

Do you use it yourself? Can it be used directly under the eyes and therefore does it have great coverage without looking cakey?

Would like to try it but have wasted so much money buying products that promise the earth and don't deliver and have invested a lot of money in the JI Mineral range...but at the same time do not feel that it offers that something which will do the job for this particular client. Will have a look into the Mac one.

Heya I think it's really good and doesn't sit into fine lines I don't have too many yet even look up beauty gurus on YouTube doing reviews on it you'll get along of into and ask Mac for samples xx

I popped into Mac last week and got samples of pro long wear and it has good coverage.
Although I still love my collection 2000 lasting finish concealer for under eyes. Yes it's high street but it works!
My kit is mostly urban decay, illamasqua, Mac etc but I haven't found anything that I like more yet. Been using it 2 years now. :) x

Mac Pro Longwear is fabulous, but it is not a corrector and with circles as dark as you're describing, you need to correct them first.

Are the circles purple or more blue? For more purple/brown circles you need a peachy/orange based corrector and for more blueish tinged ones you need a yellow. Then you can add concealer on top.

Peachy colour corrector on bag, then a layer of her lighter skin tone concealer on top (both cream formulas for eye use). Then go ahead with mineral / makeup foundation - find this way it blends in with rest of face. When eye make is finished, go back under eyes with a fan brush to remove any fall out from above. Touche eclate or similar on bag, not under bag as this highlights it!

Thanks for all your replies folks, her circles are more browny coloured so will give it a go with a peachy corrector. Always thought that if you used both corrector and then concealer that it would be far too much but will give it a go. Many thanks xxx

[...] you need to correct them first.
I second this.

Peach/Orange toned corrector does a marvellous job on dark skintones too, for example, as it brights greyish/shadowed areas like around the mouth. Same principle applies for dark circles.

Bear in mind that if the dark circles appear grey after concealing them, it means that the concealer is too bright and you need a darker tone for better result (pro tip ;) ).

Regarding caking: unless she needs photoshooting-proof makeup, keep a light hand, you really don't need much for colour correction and it really goes down to a precise application rather then how thick is the layer of product. So keep the correction to the darkest area only, do not make a wide "corner to corner" application. Set it with a thin veil of powder. Then go as usual with you foundation and proper powder setting. It should work wonders!

Let us know if you manage to improve the situation with your client!

YSL - touché éclat x

Latest posts

Back