Tinting issues with post-menopause client - tint will not take

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi

I have a client that is 10 years post menopause. She has tried everything to get her lashes to tint up. I have tried two different brands of Tint on her, HIVE and Refectocil. On her lashes - which are very pale (she was a blonde now turned grey, and a model in her younger years) and a lot sparser than when she was younger. I've tried tinting these twice now, with a different brand of Refectocil which tints really well on all my other clients. I know she is disappointed, whilst she says she knows it must be her lashes and hair not taking the colour, it does feel like it's my fault it hasn't worked... I went twice on them with the tint and there was no difference, it just wouldn't take anymore. On her brows the colour takes fine no problems.

She says this has happened before and the only way she can get her lashes to tint up half decently is when she's bought tint from boots herself and left it on for 30 minutes. I said there was no way I could leave Refectocil on for that long, I shouldn't have put the tint on again a second time but we talked about this and she was happy for me to try that.

Does anyone have any similar stories and advice? Any ideas what we could try?

She also says post menopause she cannot tan anymore, using factor 30 suncream and the sun, she just doesn't tan anymore - any thoughts.... she blames the menopause for all of this. I do want to try to help her but I am at a loss!

Thanks

Yes, some clients can be very resistant to taking the tint. Leaving the tint on for longer can solve the issue. Put plenty of vaseline on the skin before applying the tint and cover the lashes with damp pads to ensure the tint stays wet. Keep checking client has no stinging as you would normally do.
Can only try...

So how long would you say? I did it twice at 8-10 mins a go - Refectocil tint and cream developer so a really good quality tint. She doesn't like any vaseline on the eyelash rim above because she likes the pencil look, but it just doesn't take. She says a friend of hers has it done like that and it is brilliant. I cannot help but feel she is being critical, even though her friend clearly has different hair that takes the tint, and I have done all I can to help and used three different brands of tint plus the clat and time of organising of different tints.

And I do get it must be very frustrating for her, she being an ex-model must be very difficult to not be able to get the result she wants, but it really isn't my fault.

Prior to that I used a HIVE Tint and a Beautiful Brows tint on her as it was the only blue black one in stock at the supplier, so all good quality, although I don't use HIVE generally, I don't think it is good enough quality overall their waxes I don't like.

She said she went to Browns in York and it took really well there, so i'm gonna ring them and ask what product they use there.

So how long would you say? I did it twice at 8-10 mins a go - Refectocil tint and cream developer so a really good quality tint. She doesn't like any vaseline on the eyelash rim above because she likes the pencil look, but it just doesn't take. She says a friend of hers has it done like that and it is brilliant. I cannot help but feel she is being critical, even though her friend clearly has different hair that takes the tint, and I have done all I can to help and used three different brands of tint plus the clat and time of organising of different tints.

And I do get it must be very frustrating for her, she being an ex-model must be very difficult to not be able to get the result she wants, but it really isn't my fault.

Prior to that I used a HIVE Tint and a Beautiful Brows tint on her as it was the only blue black one in stock at the supplier, so all good quality, although I don't use HIVE generally, I don't think it is good enough quality overall their waxes I don't like.

She said she went to Browns in York and it took really well there, so i'm gonna ring them and ask what product they use there.
Yes, see what the other salon says.
Personally, I wouldn't do a tint without vaseline to protect the skin - it will sting if the tint touches and this is obviously not good and against advised use.
If she likes the eyeliner look, perhaps she should investigate semi-permanent make up where they do that sort of thing.
The most I've left a tint on for on a tricky client is 25 mins (ellisons brand of tint).

Ultimately if you can't satisfy the clients objectives, let her go elsewhere. It might actually be that her hair structure has changed since she had a successful tint so if she goes elsewhere she'll probably have the same issues.

Yes, see what the other salon says.
Personally, I wouldn't do a tint without vaseline to protect the skin - it will sting if the tint touches and this is obviously not good and against advised use.
If she likes the eyeliner look, perhaps she should investigate semi-permanent make up where they do that sort of thing.
The most I've left a tint on for on a tricky client is 25 mins (ellisons brand of tint).

Ultimately if you can't satisfy the clients objectives, let her go elsewhere. It might actually be that her hair structure has changed since she had a successful tint so if she goes elsewhere she'll probably have the same issues.
I have used the Hairpearl PPD Free blue black or deep black tint which stains the skin for 2 weeks and it gives a great liner look on the eyes. You should check it out. I love their products.

Latest posts

Back