How many in client base to work 'full time'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazzle.digits

Reaction score
So i'm basically in the position now of wanting to give up my current full time job to do nails however i'm worried about my wage when self employed. I'll probably get a part time job and work part time doing nails while I build up my business... but here's my question (and I don't even know if it HAS a clear answer lol):

How many clients would you say you need in your book in order for your nail business to support you financially full time?

I know there are lots of experienced peeps on here and I hope someone can help :)

Many thanks!

Everyone is different ask yourself:
How much do YOU need to earn to live
How many Hours do you want to work

Once you know the answers to this work out your daily or hourly rate and then work out how many clients you need.

If you need £1000 a month to live on, that's £250 a week

If you want to work 5 days that's £50 a day

Obviously you need to allow for products, petrol etc

Hope that helps

Thanks for your advice Jodie - it's put it much more logically than I was thinking!
So if I wanted 5 clients per day 5 days per week how many clients would you say you needed to have in your client book - as in on your records- as each client is unlikely to come every 2 weeks x

I would firstly look at your wage as it is now, divide that by 4 weeks so you know how much money you need to take per week! Only you will know what your average customer spend is, mine is nails so I average £25 per customer. Divide your customer spend by how much you need to take per week & you'll see how many clients you NEED to make your wages!

Hope that makes sense xx

So if you need £2000 per month, that's £500 per week, on my average customer spend being £25 I need 20 customers per week (80 pm if your customers come monthly) working 5 days per week that's 4 customers per day.

I don't really know how else to explain so hope Iv helped answer your question xx

I don't think you can work on how many clients are on your books because you have no guarantee if and when they will return.

We have over 700 clients on our books but in the last 4 months have seen a fraction of them, so there are no hard and fast rules.

The advice to work out what you need to earn and how many people a week will bring you that is good advice.

Add retail to your client spend and it will make everything easier!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

In hair I would work it that on average people have their hair done every 6 Wks

So if I need 3 clients per day and I work 5 days that's 15 clients a week

15 clients a week over 6 Wks is 90 clients. That's providing they ALL rebook. Allow for those that don't rebook every 6 Wks. On average you could say you need over 100 to keep you ticking over

You have to work hard and be organised to get them to rebook! Explain your getting booked up etc

There's a book out called how to be a mobile hairdresser it helps you work costings out etc stock costing etc I know your beauty but a lot of the workings out will cross over xx

Thanks so much everyone! Jojo your advice was great! So if I need to earn £1000pm i'd need £250 per week. I am going to be offering gel polish at £15pp to I would need 17 customers per week or 3/4 customers per day. FEW. Okay that's sounding much more manageable lol. Think I might try to get a part time job for 2-3 days just to cover the bills until i'm fully up and running. It's so exciting but the prospect of giving up my fulltime job is a tad scary!

How did you guys all start out?

Jen x

Thanks so much everyone! Jojo your advice was great! So if I need to earn £1000pm i'd need £250 per week. I am going to be offering gel polish at £15pp to I would need 17 customers per week or 3/4 customers per day. FEW. Okay that's sounding much more manageable lol. Think I might try to get a part time job for 2-3 days just to cover the bills until i'm fully up and running. It's so exciting but the prospect of giving up my fulltime job is a tad scary!

How did you guys all start out?

Jen x

I have had a great support system when I started out.
My parents bent over backwards helping with 3 of my kids and my hubby and his mom backed me up financially during the first year so I could open up my spa.
I have worked hard the last two years, I worked at my spa 8-10 hrs a day and I have a second part time job of 15 hrs a week to help supplement my income.
I am happy to say, after 2 years of not sleeping I have 1 shift left at my pt job :) I have just over 270 pretty regular clients which has forced me to hire AND train 2 girls to my standard.
of course I have well over 400 clients in my books but a great 100 or so of them are seasonal/occasional and my prebooked clients is what keeps me occupied.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back