How much experience is necessary?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinnyjinbob

Reaction score
I'm interested to hear how much experience people think you need before looking at setting up your own business (mobile or own salon). Or any tips from those who already have?
It's definitely something I'm considering for the future.

When I started my spray tanning business, I did my sisters a few times and then went straight into it!
Always better to learn on the job than from a book!

When I started my spray tanning business, I did my sisters a few times and then went straight into it!

Thanks, how did you go about building your client base?

I put a free add in the local paper, then i had a paid YELL.COM listening which is where i got nearly all my clients from.
Juicy Beauty Mobile Spray Tans In Croydon - Mobile Spray Tans & Eyelashes in Croydon & Surrounding Areas is my website

My favourite thing about your website (among many things) is the contact section. Do you prefer clients to email you rather than phone? How does this work for you? I'm hoping to be contacted by email because I think phone will be a bit too intrusive.

yes I agree. it depends how much natural flair you have and confidence, you cant put time on experience, just do it when you feel ready.

Thank you, without wanting to blow my own trumpet I think I have a natural flair for hairdressing. I came into it in my 30's rather than from school so I know it's what I want to do. I love it and I'm enthusiastic and iv thrown myself into learning and picked things up quick. Touch wood I haven't had any unhappy clients so far (at least, not that they've said! Haha) It's just I'm scared that that's not enough when it comes to running a business for yourself!? There will still be times when I might be unsure and want to ask for advice as I havent come across every single scenario yet. It was drummed into us at college that you should have at least 5 years salon experience before you consider opening your own business as you won't be ready, and that's really stuck with me.
I feel about 90% ready, but I don't know if that 10% doubt is just natural nerves about the unknown?

20's not 30's!! Ageing myself there! Ooooops!

My favourite thing about your website (among many things) is the contact section. Do you prefer clients to email you rather than phone? How does this work for you? I'm hoping to be contacted by email because I think phone will be a bit too intrusive.

Usually I will text them in reply to their email or if they call i will send them a text after to confirm everything and then another one the night before the tan.

To be honest, a lot depends upon the quality of the training. Personally, I feel that exceedingly few therapists are truly ready to go it alone without getting some experience under their belt first.

When most people qualify they think they're the bees knees and know it all, and I include myself in that, because I thought exactly the same! The problem is that unless you have regularly had treatments from an experienced therapist, the only bench mark you have of how good you are post-training is yourself and those you trained with. However, when you work under a good and experienced therapist you quickly realise you have some way to go, not just in bettering your treatments (and discovering that things are done very differently in-salon to college!), but also in how to deal with customers and the ins-and-outs of running a business.

I learnt more in my first two salons than I ever did in three years of full time college training (back when full-time was 9-6 Mon-Fri, not these half-days they now call full-time!), and although when I first qualified I would have said I knew enough to go it alone, with hindsight I now know to have done so would have been a huge mistake!

To be honest, a lot depends upon the quality of the training. Personally, I feel that exceedingly few therapists are truly ready to go it alone without getting some experience under their belt first.

When most people qualify they think they're the bees knees and know it all, and I include myself in that, because I thought exactly the same! The problem is that unless you have regularly had treatments from an experienced therapist, the only bench mark you have of how good you are post-training is yourself and those you trained with. However, when you work under a good and experienced therapist you quickly realise you have some way to go, not just in bettering your treatments (and discovering that things are done very differently in-salon to college!), but also in how to deal with customers and the ins-and-outs of running a business.

I learnt more in my first two salons than I ever did in three years of full time college training (back when full-time was 9-6 Mon-Fri, not these half-days they now call full-time!), and although when I first qualified I would have said I knew enough to go it alone, with hindsight I now know to have done so would have been a huge mistake!

This is exactly what I thought. My intentions once qualified were always to do at least 2/3 years within a salon before even considering it. But I feel I'm perhaps not getting the best out of the salon where I currently am and that's pushing me to want to do it my way. Do you have you own business now?

Do you have you own business now?

Yep, I went self-employed renting a room in a sports massage clinic about 11 or 12 years ago (about three years or so after qualifying, during which I worked employed in a couple of different salons), then about 6 and a half years ago the place I was renting sold-up, so I left there and set up my own small salon.

Latest posts

Back