How much to charge portfolio/practice models?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandwiches

Reaction score
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I'm doing my CND enhance course and I will be needing models soon. The models that are coming to class with me I won't charge but do you think it's ok to charge practise and portfolio models? I figured £10 to cover costs and time. Then once qualified an intro offer as I feel by then I've done my time so to speak! Your thoughts please as its important to get the models in the first place. I accept that most won't come back for full price treatments. TIA :)

You are right. You wouldn't charge your model who comes to classes with you, but it's quite usual to charge friends and family a small amount to do their nails whilst you are training, about £10 per full set is an average figure, it's just enough to cover your materials and gives you a bit extra to re-invest in new materials, and you are still doing them a favour because they are getting a cheap set of nails.

When your skills improve and you feel like your work is worth the going rate you will need to be confident, and make it clear to your clients that you appreciate their loyalty in the past but you need to change your prices to reflect your skill level and the rising costs of materials. It's likely that you'll get a couple of people who will grumble about your new prices, or might just stop having their nails done altogether but dont take it personally, some people just love a freeby! If that does happen then let these clients walk away and make room in your diary for customers who are happy to pay the going rate.

Very true, I've let people know on my FB group that there will be a small charge but havent said what it is yet, and I've done nothing but go on about the products to get them champing at the bit for it! (using S2's tactics) make enough people want it and they'll all want it, that's the plan anyway! I fully accept the clients that only want cheap offers, TBH I'd rather not have them, I have a loyal beauty client base and those that want it cheap tend to be the ones that don't turn up for apps anyway. Thanks for your reply :)

Latest posts

Back