How to fix small breaks in nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodie1991

Reaction score
Hey guys. Ive got a little break in my nail
I dont want to cut the nail down as it'll be too short

I usually use a little silk patch and resin but i find it doesnt last too long with gel polish on top.

Any ideas to what else to use? I thought uv gel?

I tried taking a photo but cant seem to focus too well

Thanks

Got a pic from google.. This but the break isnt as bad

Attachments

• Broken-Nails.jpg
    Broken-Nails.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 129
Me personally, I use Skyscraper gel. It's never failed to save my nails when I get little breaks and I can put Gel polish over the top.
It's also saved quite a few of my clients until their nails get to a length they're happy to have them cut down to.

Thabk you for your help
May i ask where you get it from? Really want to try this now :)

If the break is small I use Skyscraper like Stook, but if it looks like it needs more support I use 'Minx Coat' a peel off protective base that covers the whole nail, then do gel polish and skyscraper gel on top. It's such a good product, ideal for tears, and stronger than it looks. Got mine from Sweet Squared. x

Last edited:
Brilliant. I will check both oit. Thank you :)

Or alternatively the easiest thing you can use is a small piece of fibreglass or silk with a dab of resin (or some home diyers use the fabric from a teabag) it really does work great x

Ive got the silk kit but find my gel last longer than the silk patch and lifts the gel off lol. Maybe its my technique. I ordered the minx strips and will keep trying both

Thank you

I usually glue the broken bit down with gel bond, use silk to reinforce and then BLSG to finish x

I usually get breaks on the nails plate, a horizontal split. Very painful but I put some gel polish on and allow it to grow out. I have no problem cutting my nails short so as soon as the split is part of the free edge, off it goes.

I did this with nasty vertical split I had too, from tip of free edge to halfway down the plate. I was doing my hairdressing training at the the time and it was extremely painful. I was given some lavender oil to help speed up the healing process. After a couple of weeks the nail looked a bit better so on went the gel polish to protect while it was healing up.

But, truth be told, if I ever get split like the one you pictured I just cut it off and put a tip on with some uv gel to give back the length.

Hope you find something that works for you x

I'll try and upload my repair. I don't know if you can see, but I had exactly what you have. I used a tiny piece of fibre glass, a clear ish coast of gel 2. Cure. A coat of La palm glass builder gel. Cure. Buff lightly to remove shine. This saves every nail I use it on. Love it x

Attachments

• 1440270579764.jpg
    1440270579764.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 1440270643039.jpg
    1440270643039.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 77
As above said . I use a small piece of Fiberglass and press into our base gel , cure , apply builder gel and cure and then continue as normal. If you are just trying to keep it with gel polish that will not give you the strength it needs

x

I agree but I've not trained with silk or fibreglass so gel polish it is.

I put a tiny blob of acrylic on mine and smooth it down, nothing's getting through that [emoji4] x

For a small tear like that I would apply gel base coat, smooth silk/fibreglass into it and cure. Apply another base coat and cure. Proceed with colour application.

Pure! Does the fiberglass /silk wrap stick to the base coat???

New Pure! Does the fiberglass /silk wrap stick to the base coat???
It does. Apply base coat, then before curing size and apply your silk/fibreglass. Press it well into the base coat so that it becomes almost transparent, then cure. I then apply another base coat and cure before going onto the colour.

Fingernailfixer has a video on YouTube showing this method.

Just remember when it comes to removal it will require longer to soak off.

Thank you so much!!! I will look for that video

Latest posts

Back