How to test to see if hair has been coloured

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clairegothair

Reaction score
Hi Guys.

I want to find out if there is a way to find out if hair has been coloured.

I trained as a stylist and my colour knowledge is basic. I wanted to find out if there is a product available or a way of testing to see if hair has been coloured

It says youre a hair pro, do you not know about a basic compatability test?

endless - Is there any need for you to go and get up on your high-horse? Your not exactly been helpful are you? By just been bitchy..... And do you not mean 'Incompatibility Test' :)

In my experience an incompatibility test will only show the presence of metallic salts.

I can just tell if it's been coloured or not. I know that's not much help but I guess it will just come with experience x

an incompatability test isnt a test for whether or not hair has been coloured, its a test to see whether there is anything reactive on the hair.
With any colour there shud be a degree of regrowth or tonak differences that will guide you in your consulatation as to whether or not the hair is coloured.x

endless - Is there any need for you to go and get up on your high-horse? Your not exactly been helpful are you? By just been bitchy..... And do you not mean 'Incompatibility Test' :)[/QUO

High horse?
ok, just trying to help her out, and no, i meant compatabilty test, same difference?
Why was I not being helpful?

if I couldnt tell if a client has colour on her hair, I would do 1 of these tests to check wether they were metallic salts present?? no? just being bitchy? maybe you have too much time on your hands?

I agree Endless. In your first post you didn't offer any advice but questioned the OP's professionalism, which I agree you should do but there is a way to do these things.

an incompatibility test will only show metallic salts present...which are not present in all hair colour!!!!! so that will not show if there is colour in, just if there is incompatible colour in.

I agree Endless. In your first post you didn't offer any advice but questioned the OP's professionalism, which I agree you should do but there is a way to do these things.

Ok, so what advice should I of offered, go back to college, and ask them to show you how to tell if the hair has been previously coloured or not?

There isnt a sure fire way to tell, the trained eye can usually tell, an INcompatability test will tell if theres are anything reactive in the hair,

Either way im not going to reply any more to this thread, were all arguing over simple, basic hairdressing knowledge, if someone has to ask these questions, maybe they shouldnt be on here, as its for PROFESSIONALS.

if someone has to ask these questions, maybe they shouldnt be on here, as its for PROFESSIONALS.

are we not all here to help one another?!

i have to agree with endless guys
i seena post the other day and it was sooooooooooo obvious the poster was not a pro...
and there was like 40 pro's telling them what to buy and how to do it!!!! :eek::eek::eek: i was cringing!!!
if you can't tell hair has colour on it! i'm afraid you wouldn't get anywhere near my hair!!!

Ladies - as you know I am NOT a hair professional. I am simply coming on here to calm things down. Endless, no one is saying your basic advice is incorrect... I would simply suggest wording your answers in a - shall-we-say... a 'kinder' way!

Yes we are here to help but this IS a professional forum and sometimes some of the questions do beggar belief in the sense that they had to be asked in the first place.

It is no wonder true professionals get up in arms however, answer the questions with respect as opposed to an accusatory manner - that goes for ALL of us!

Peace Out! :hug:

the only surefire test would be to dip a cutting in colour remover if you can't tell by eye.

Well Endless, You just sounded/looked pretty stuck up to me that's all.

Also the question asked in the first place isn't going to actually do any harm if answered by 'Professionals' (as already done above)...... really now:idea:

Kimi is right.....its an experience thing that no test will really tell you, but your eye will. As for color removers, I have yet to see one that truly leaves natural pigment undisturbed. look for a regrowth line, or shadow of demarcation....or look for an uneveness from root to end. Natural hair tends to lighten towards the ends, where colored hair can tend to darken.
As you get more experience with color, you will just know.

Latest posts

Back