How well do the search engines rate your site?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanny

Reaction score
Ok, that was a bit of a bummer title. It doesnt matter if the search engines dont think much of your page as long as your site is well presented and user friendly. For instance, a site that is made up of mostly images (search engines cant read images) wont interest the search engines that much, whereas the same site could be very popular with humans. However, what if your site has never been found by the search engines and the site has been uploaded for quite some time now? Well, maybe it's time to start addressing that.

First of all, we need to find out if the search engines know about us. I keep saying search engines (plural) but I mean just Google for this little test. Ok, let's do it.

1, Open a new page in your browser at www.google.com

2, Type into the search box 'link' ':' and then 'www.yourdomain.com' like so, lets use the Google site itself in this example link:www.google.com When you've typed it in, hit the search button. You'll see at the top of the results page, that Google has over 2.5 million links pointing at it.

3, Now try it for your own site. I've tried it myself for a few sites here and I've found some very interesting results. When I entered www.harmonyinBeauty.co.uk and www.marcobenito.com into the search box, Google tells me that Lucy has 3 links pointing to her site, and Marco benito has one. In both instances, those links came from Liberty Nail Design but not from our links page, no, they came from our guests gallery page. This is not a ploy to get you to send some pics my way, but if you type in your domain name and Google shows no links for you, I know what I would be doing. *S*

Anyway, I digress. Some of you will enter your details into Google and get results back saying that you have only 1 or 2 links, The Geek site itself shows just 5 links when we all know that there are much much more than that. Why does that happen? It's all to do with how Google works out the link system based on pagerank (A measure of how good Google believes a website to be). I'll cover this in detail some other day, suffice it to say that the less page rank your site possesses, the less important your links are to Google.)

What if, you own the site www.myniftynails.com, you type in your details, and Google tells you:

'Your search - link:www.myniftynails.com - did not match any documents.'

What's wrong? Well, nothing is actually wrong, Google is just telling you that it isn't aware of your site. You need to submit your site to Google in order for it to be spidered. You can do this for free at http://www.google.com/addurl.html You only need to do this once, and you only need to enter your main url. If you submit a site repeatedly, you risk getting it banned. You also need to improve your linking strategy. You can read some suggestions in the thread of the same name in 'chit-chat'. If your site falls into this category, I'd recommend doing this stuff today.

I did this and I have 22 but not the ones I expected LOL.

Trust me Fiona, the ones that are listed are the ones that matter. The ones that matter to Google at any rate. This test does not apply to any other search engines.

Here's another eye opener. Let's say your/my site has 10 pages? 20 pages? 30 pages? How many has Google found? To find out try this:

Similar to above, we're still using the imaginary site, My Nifty Nails, type into the Google search box:

Site:www.myniftynails.com

Remember, if you're doing this for your own site, substitute your domain name for my nifty nails. You may be unpleasantly surprised.

sniff, sniff only 1 - but Liberty Nail Design for 86

There there Fiona, we'll soon fix that, dry those tears. *LOL* The reason that Google is only reporting one page is more that likely because you haven't got your pages linked together. When you go from your 'Start' page to your 'History' page, there should be a link back to your start page, ie, a menu system like you see on most sites. The problem on your site is you're using frames. Ok, so the menu is there constantly so no probs navigating your site, but that menu on the left is the same page no matter where you go on the site. The end result is that the search engines come to your site and dont see any linked pages. There may be a way round it but I dont know wjat it is at present, I will look into it for you though.

Hiya Seanny, I'd love to know how to get round it because I'm building my current site with frames.
When I used to use... <in a very small voice> Publisher I copied and pasted my menu of links onto the same place on every page so they were always there. I figured frames would be more professional but if it will affect my linking then maybe not. I know that all my pages of my old business site that I'd built with Publisher came up on Yahoo and Google fine. I just ditched it because I was sick of Publisher turning everything into images so the pages took forever to download. Maybe I should just adopt the inbuilt menu strategy with Front Page instead of using frames??

Hi Lauren, I cant reply in detail now as I'm off to work shortly, but I'd have a serious think about using frames. If you can use the normal way, do it.

How well do they rate it - I cant even get listed on google no matter how hard I try :cry:

Well I Lie when I type "links www.boxroombeauty.com" into google I get 6 links

Seanny said:
There there Fiona, we'll soon fix that, dry those tears. *LOL* The reason that Google is only reporting one page is more that likely because you haven't got your pages linked together. When you go from your 'Start' page to your 'History' page, there should be a link back to your start page, ie, a menu system like you see on most sites. The problem on your site is you're using frames. Ok, so the menu is there constantly so no probs navigating your site, but that menu on the left is the same page no matter where you go on the site. The end result is that the search engines come to your site and dont see any linked pages. There may be a way round it but I dont know wjat it is at present, I will look into it for you though.
This may also be my problem let me know what I can do

I built my website during a college course using frames, on the advice of the tutor. However I really don't like the end result hence I never tell anyone I have one! But when I spoke to a professional web designer she said that the pros generally leave frames well alone. There's clearly better ways it's just finding out how!

I am currently working on an alternative to the Frames on my site - when it is changed and running I will let you all know and you can check it out for me.

Hi,

I don't have any links that show up when I do that trick on google :cry: yet lots of people find my site via google and yahoo and my page comes quite high up on the list ?????

Hi Seanny very interseting stuff. I am being a bit stupid now but I tried what you said but I cant see where the numbers are for how many links are pointing to the sites entered in the search engine??? :o :o Where is that info lol!!!

Loo xx

Think ive found it now was being a bit silly wasnt I lol!!! Clicked onto the pages that are links to me and yes there are three one of which is you!! So the more you have on there the higher you are ranked is that right???

Loo xx

Ok, first let's deal with the framed sites. The following two websites deal with what you should do if you want to keep your site as a framed site. The first is by Jill Whalen, one of the top search engine gurus on the 'net. She says it's not necessarily the end of the road for you, you can have a successful framed site but you'll have to read, understand and implement the advice she gives.

http://www.highrankings.com/framedsite.htm

The second site actually tells you what to do in step by step instructions, again, you'll need to understand and implement this stuff yourself.
http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2167901

I honestly don't have the time to completely redesign anyone's site for them as I'm way too busy doing my own stuff. My advice for what it's worth? Ditch the framed sites asap, what's the advantage of using them? It shouldn't be too big a job to get a new site up and running as you already have your content sorted out.

Lauren, can you expand on the probs you experienced with Publisher? No need to be ashamed, I built my first few sites with Publisher and I was dead proud of them. *S*

Linda, Google has 22 pages of your site indexed and, by the way you don't use frames. Google hasnt picked up any links for you ............ yet, you'll have to give it more time. If anyone's here looking for a quick fix, you are gonna be disappointed, fact! Every time you get a new link into your site, it can take upwards of two months to see the benefits. I've listed lots of other info in previous threads regarding improving your website, everyone should read through these and change whatever needs changing.

Deb, I go along with the professional designer, leave the frames and just build a website using linked single pages, it's even easier than trying to implement the frame setup. Remember to link everthing, for example, say have page 1 as your start page, page 2 is your services page and page 3 as your gallery page. You obviously have links to all pages from page 1 but you should make sure that all internal pages are also linked. Simply put, can you go from page 6 to page 2 without going back to your start page?

That's it Fiona...... A Brave New World!!! I've every confidence that it will be a resounding success!!! I look forward to seeing it. *S*

Sarah and Lucy, same answer applies to both you guys. You may have a page load of links right now, but if they're all from sites which have a low/no pagerank, Google probably won't report them. It's as if they dont exist for the purposes of that results page. Normally the cut off point is page rank 4 and above. So if a site has less than that, the link normally wont be reported. Like I said earlier, our Guest gallery only has a page rank of 3 but Google is reading the links from it because we get so many hits a day, about 1000 a day on average, so if you're short on links and you have good digital nail pics, you really should be on that page. };-) I feel obliged to say this every time after I've commented on pagerank. DO NOT get all caught up with it, it is much more important that your site is well presented, well written, has a nice layout and is easy to navigate. I've covered all these topics in previous threads in chit-chat, have a read to refresh.

Hiya Seanny,
The problem I had with Publisher is that each item I put in, be it text, and image etc etc seemed to have an invisible border around it. If any other item infringed into (is that grammatically correct :D ) that invisible area, it automatically decided to lump the two (or more) items together and produce them as a jpeg when I produced the page, meaning that rather than having say, two text boxes and a colour of pictures, it would see them all as one item (even though the images were all uploaded as separate jpegs) and IE would load them accordingly. As you can imagine the pages then took forever to load and this was back in the prodominently pre-broadband days, so it was a utter pain in the butt.
To be honest I liked working with Publisher but this spoiled it for me... plus for some reason I could never get animations to work either, but that's another story!
Lol x

Ok Lauren, I know where you're coming from. Images and text get 'grouped' together? You shouldnt have to put up with that tho', if you draw your rectangular box where the pic/text is gonna be, the two shouldn't meet. If you need to make the pics smaller, do that first. To place the text exactly, hold down the 'alt' key while tapping the arrow keys, this moves your objects in tiny increments.

Latest posts

Back