Hypocrites betting on the Grand National

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends how deep you want to go. But don't think there is the time or space here. We could discuss the dairy trade, the badger cull, zoos, captive animals, clipping birds wings, products tested on animals... The list is endless, unfortunately.

Did you know when you eat a cow they are stunned with an electric shock to the head and then their necks slit and hung upside down to bleed to death? Think about that next time you tuck into a burger. A whip is nothing.

Doesn't mean we should condone it just because worse things happen.

Did you know when you eat a cow they are stunned with an electric shock to the head and then their necks slit and hung upside down to bleed to death? Think about that next time you tuck into a burger. A whip is nothing.

A whip is not NOTHING. Get your OH to whip you every day for 3 years and then come back and tell us how "nothing" it is. FFS!!!

Okay, so slaughtering an animal (once) for food is not okay but whipping a horse continuously year upon year for fun is. I'm so glad you've cleared that up.

I can really feel and understand your upset here MM, but sadly any animal within human control has no way out! They will continue to be bought for whatever purpose albeit the food chain, entertainment or for pets to love. The only part I can play is to keep away from what I don't like and to lavish love on my own pets and support the pet charities where I can!

BAN THE WHIP!
Horses are the only animals who may be beaten in public for entertainment. Animal Aid has campaigned for many years to ban the whip from racing in Britain. Many jockeys repeatedly misuse the whip because, even when they are found guilty of misconduct, they still keep their riding fees and may not lose their winnings.

Whipping is not a term that should be used in relation with horses at all. A riding crop is not harmful to a horse unless in the hands of someone cruel. Mostly these are used by riders who very lightly tap the horse to gain it's attention. I have been riding since I was very young and would never use a crop with any more force than I would tap a person on the shoulder. Mostly they are used in racing to imitate another animal in the horses peripheral vision. I agree horse racing needs a lot more looking into welfare wise but I also worry that people are taking things too far. Horses are no longer used to pull carts or work on farms. They aren't a form of transport any more, if we stop racing and horses working in the army and police what will they be used for? It's getting harder and harder to run riding lessons because too many parents sue if their child falls off the horse, the insurance costs put my old instructor out of business. There are already abandoned horses all over the country that nothing can be done about.

The whip isn't just used "to make them go faster" they are also a safety measure to help keep the rider AND the horse safe. You see people riding on the road with whips but they only use them when neccesary to keep horse and rider safe x

I disagree, I know many people who have horses, my other halfs mother is a jockey, my grandad is also a very well known tipster and used to have horses... It's not cruel, if the horse doesn't enjoy it - it simply won't do it. They are very stubborn animals... Whipping doesn't cause the animal any pain or discomfort - of the horse doesn't like it - it simply won't do it. So saying it's cruel is wrong. It's not cruel. It's not animal cruelty. The race horses are extremely well looked after inspected by vets loads of times and fit for what they do. If it gets injured it retires or is put down if it's severe - just like any other animal...

Because a horse chooses to and enjoys jumping over a 7ft fence with the possibility of breaking its neck. 😒

Too many horses are bunched together and the jumps are too high and too close together. My Cousin is a professional Jockey and would never do the national

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

The whip isn't just used "to make them go faster" they are also a safety measure to help keep the rider AND the horse safe. You see people riding on the road with whips but they only use them when neccesary to keep horse and rider safe x

I don't really give two hoots about the riders in the grand national though. they DO choose to partake in the "sport" (unlike the poor horse) so that's their business if they risk their lives!

As has already been said, this subject could go around and around if we went on to talk about animal cruelty, animal welfare ect ect. So to stay on topic, as previously said I do believe that horses are born to 'run free' and enjoy racing. That cannot be argued. What can be argued is sticking a human on their backs with a whip, and making them run in obscene numbers, around a ridiculous man made course. For what? Your viewing pleasure? For some toff to make a few quid? That In my opinion, Can be argued.

And as for the 'riding crop' if you prefer to call it that, comparing to a be a 'tap on the shoulder' ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1396733993.851053.jpg I would beg to differ.

Last edited:
Another good point. Too many horses for the space and high fences etc. Another thing which makes it cruel.

That picture is horrible. But just shows that it's more than a tap being used.

Also horses have died and someone said not injured every time. But I bet horses fall over, are pushed, fall trying to jump the fence etc every time that they are involved in these races.

And as for the 'riding crop' if you prefer to call it that, comparing to a be a 'tap on the shoulder' View attachment 61037 I would beg to differ.

I said I personally would not use a crop with more force than a tap on the shoulder. Neither would most riders. That does not excuse this picture but racers can be and are pulled up and banned from racing for this sort of action. Obviously not every jockey who does this is caught and banned but at least there are people trying to put an end to this within the racing community as well as outside it.

I do agree about the numbers and obstacles though.

I think the grand national has been criticised not only by people who are dead against all horse racing but bye horse people themselves as it is the hardest most dangerous/longest and has the huge jumps etc. I think that going in all guns trying to ban all racing may be unrealistic at this point on time , but I am sure that over the years adjustments have been made to make it less dangerous. There are probably campaignes out there to make racing more humane, maybe look these up? It's like with sports using dogs, for example dog fighting been banned, but we still have sports like dog agility. I don't think many people would listen if you went in all black and white about it, more likely to make an impact if you were to support groups who monitor racing and groups who have made changes happen. Would be a good idea to look them up if that your area of concern, I think if you are passionate about a good cause that is a very positive thing and we all have a duty to try and make changes in the world if we truly believe in them xxxx

Whipping doesn't cause pain or discomfort? Do you TRULY believe that? Wow.

I have found work really hard this week as I hate horse racing and I'm sick to death of hearing about the national from clients whilst trying to refrain myself from loosing it with them. I also fall out with my family every year about this. I can't stand all the 'horse lovers' that enjoy this cruel 'sport'.

My horse hates being ridden therefore he hasn't been his whole life he's 26 and I've had him since he was four, he's had a great life. My other horse was rescued, he's not ridden either. If either of them saw a whip they would freak!

What's the need for a racehorse rescue charity if trainer, owner, jockeys love their horses???

And don't even get me started on hunting etc. I have lost clients for my hate of all these things, I am in an especially 'horsey' area!

I was slated last year as I refused to give a gift voucher to the hunt. Sometimes it's very hard to remain professional:twisted:

And don't even get me started on hunting etc. I have lost clients for my hate of all these things, I am in an especially 'horsey' area!

I was slated last year as I refused to give a gift voucher to the hunt. Sometimes it's very hard to remain professional:twisted:

How any so called animal lover can participate in a blood sport is beyond comprehension!

As a horsy girl I have no strong feelings to ban racing. The thoroughbred horse is bred to run as its not much good for anything else unfortunately They make terrible hacks so racing is the best thing for them. They enjoy racing, it's in their blood and having been around horses pretty much all my life no matter how much you beat a horse, if it didn't want to run it wouldn't. The whips jockeys use are a flat ended whip, they do not hurt the horse like many think, it's more encouragement but I do agree with conditions being set on how the whip is used.
I personally don't like racing, I just don't find it interesting, I also won't watch the grand national because I think the field is too big and the jumps too high, this in my opinion needs to be changed to assist the horses and prevent injuries or fatalities

Horses die on the racing field every day, we just don't see it cos it's not televised, they die the same way in which my friends horses died when it fell over in the field and got it's leg severed in the gate, or my other friend who's horse collapsed and died whilst out for a steady hack one day, or the other friends who's horse threw her off and got out on the road, or when another friend horse kicked out in the stable and severed it's stifle joint etc. horses unfortunately die or get killed every day on the roads or in their own fields or stable we just don't know.

Very sad but true!

May I state again that ignorance is bliss for some people.

If something brings in so much revenue, it will continue. No matter what it is. Totally off topic but did you know that we could actually have cars that run on practically nothing but because fuel tax makes so much revenue, it will never be replaced. Same reason why cigarettes won't ever be banned. They make too much money for the Government.

Horse racing is cruel. Full stop.

100% agree.. and exactly the same as the cure for cancer! You will never see it although they probably have something. .. The money the government would lose would be too great.

Educating the thick and gormless. ... priceless.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Take a look at companies such as Michael Kors, viktor & rolf, Estée Lauder, WELLA, loreal, Redken and many more products most of the people in this thread have used ALL TEST THEIR PRODUCTS ON ANIMALS!

If people didn't use and buy products from these companies they would not exist much like how the grand national wouldn't if no one bet on the horses.

Looks like most people are hippocrates to some extent....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back