I need advice from booth rent salon owners!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiMpLyBENDHaIr01

Reaction score
I have owned my own hair salon for a year now, WOW! Ive made it a year. I also work behind the chair almost everyday.
I have recently started to instill my "mission" more and more to my independent contractors. I want to hear from other booth rent salon owners and here feedback.
A little about me and my salon,
I only have booth renters, I provide a station, backbar include styling, commission on retail sold, marketing (Facebook, instagram, website, yelp, google,)
I provide them a shirt with our logo on it
I provide professional photography
We have a group text so we all stay on the same page

1. What do you offer in providing the space? Marketing ETC?
2. What "rules" / "standards" do you apply to being a part of your salon?
3. Do you come and go and barely speak or do you work as a team?
4. Do you ask your independent contracts to have their clients sign any forms? New client form? Color guarantee form?

I think us in the uk have to play it alittle different than our cousins in the USA. We can't do certain things like you have listed as the tax man will say we are actually employing these people and we could be liable for their tax.

If the above wasn't the case, the things you are doing are the things I would do. Trying to build a strong team, all with the same goal, with yourself at the lead position.

As above. In the U.K., if you tried to impose rules on self employed stylists, the revenue would class it as a sham employment arrangement and you'd be fined and required to pay outstanding tax, national insurance and other pay. I think that if you want to impose rules on staff, you have to be prepared to pay them a regular wage.

However, the main difference between the UK and the US is that staff in service industries such as hairdressing don't have to rely on tips to form their wage. Culturally, tipping is often viewed as socially awkward by the Brits and so many clients don't bother tipping at all or leave the odd pound for the junior. Many clients will only ever give tips (or small gifts) at Xmas.

Latest posts

Back