IBX help and advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SarahMack

Reaction score
Can anyone help/advise me what to do please? (sorry in advance for the essay lol)

One of my clients (just happens to be my mum unfortunately) is having serious problems with her nails delaminating.

The delamination has been getting worse over the last couple of months so I suggested IBX to her after reading the long thread on here – after the first application, there was a dramatic difference in her nails. After application, I applied gel polish as normal. .

The next time I saw her (2 weeks after her initial IBX application), there was some delamination but it wasn’t too bad. I re-applied the IBX repair on the affected nails then IBX on all her nails. Afterwards I applied gel polish.

Roll on a week (last week) and the delamination was much worse. So I applied the IBX repair and IBX but left her nails without any gel polish.

This week, her nails are the worst I have ever seen them (see photo below).

splitnails_zpsa69a2769.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As you can see, there is serious delamination and I just don’t know what to do. I didn’t do anything at all this week with her nails as I feel I am making them worse and I feel she is blaming me for the mess they are in!

My usual procedure is as follows:
Remove gel polish
Cuticle work
File and shape nails
Cleanse nails
Apply IBX repair
Heat with hairdryer
Lightly blot
Cure under LED lamp
Cleanse
Apply IBX
Heat with hairdryer
Lightly blot
Cure under LED lamp
Cleanse
Apply gel polish
Cleanse
Apply cuticle oil

Bit of background on my mum – she will be 70 this year and in good health except for arthritis and asthma. The medication she is on is paracetamol, naproxen and asthma inhalers.

She also makes cards and is in constant contact with paper and card which I know dehydrates nails and skin from personal experience of working in an office (days when I have been in a lot of contact with paper, the skin on my hands are like sandpaper).

Can anyone give me any suggestions as what to do as I am now at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

You should switch the cuticle work for after the IBX treatment.
File and shape, apply IBX and then proceed to cuticle work.
IBX has been a heaven send to my business and I have had success with all my clients.

Cleen Cheeks Spa

Can anyone help/advise me what to do please? (sorry in advance for the essay lol)

One of my clients (just happens to be my mum unfortunately) is having serious problems with her nails delaminating.

The delamination has been getting worse over the last couple of months so I suggested IBX to her after reading the long thread on here – after the first application, there was a dramatic difference in her nails. After application, I applied gel polish as normal. .

The next time I saw her (2 weeks after her initial IBX application), there was some delamination but it wasn’t too bad. I re-applied the IBX repair on the affected nails then IBX on all her nails. Afterwards I applied gel polish.

Roll on a week (last week) and the delamination was much worse. So I applied the IBX repair and IBX but left her nails without any gel polish.

This week, her nails are the worst I have ever seen them (see photo below).

splitnails_zpsa69a2769.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As you can see, there is serious delamination and I just don’t know what to do. I didn’t do anything at all this week with her nails as I feel I am making them worse and I feel she is blaming me for the mess they are in!

My usual procedure is as follows:
Remove gel polish
Cuticle work
File and shape nails
Cleanse nails
Apply IBX repair
Heat with hairdryer
Lightly blot
Cure under LED lamp
Cleanse
Apply IBX
Heat with hairdryer
Lightly blot
Cure under LED lamp
Cleanse
Apply gel polish
Cleanse
Apply cuticle oil

Bit of background on my mum – she will be 70 this year and in good health except for arthritis and asthma. The medication she is on is paracetamol, naproxen and asthma inhalers.

She also makes cards and is in constant contact with paper and card which I know dehydrates nails and skin from personal experience of working in an office (days when I have been in a lot of contact with paper, the skin on my hands are like sandpaper).

Can anyone give me any suggestions as what to do as I am now at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

I agree with Biljana, cuticle work after your IBX treatment. Obviously your mom's nail take a beating due to her card work, BUT, try this:

I would cut her nails back even farther, we want to try and get her nails grown out without the delamination.
When working on the delamination, do not put Repair over the entire nail, take your brush with Repair and put it into the split, you can kind of see it go in between the layers of the nail, heat, DO NOT BLOT UNLESS YOU SEE REPAIR ON THE SURFACE, IF IT IS JUST IN BETWEEN THE LAYERS THERE IS NO NEED TO BLOT, if there is some on the surface blot extremely lightly so not to push the Repair out of the split, then cure. if her splits are really deep, you can go in and do another Repair application to try and fill in that gap as much as possible. Then, do IBX over top of this. if you want to get rid of the delamination I would do this once a week for a few weeks and see if this doesn't help. Please let us know how it goes!!!

How is it there is so much fab advice on here regarding ibx and yet people can get it SO wrong. My sister in law was impressed with my ibx pics so had a treatment done in Fulham. The therapist used all the right products but my sis in law hated the bit that burnt her nails. The therapist said they had to be really hot. My sis in law said they were still sore the next day.
Please read the instructions, watch the vid and follow procedure.

Sorry. Rant over. To the op. I have had one client who I just had to say enough. Ibx just didn't work for her. Her nails really deteriorated after 2 treatments and she wasn't happy to continue. I totally rate ibx but I also believe that either due to health or meds there are some people that it just doesn't agree with. There is also some excellent advice on here of things to try! Fortunately burning the nails isn't one of them!
I have used it on many, many clients with great success.

Good luck

Vicki x

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have had the same thing happen to one of my clients. After an initial improvement of her nails, the delamination has got worse so it's a bit embarrassing after having sold this treatment to her as the next best thing since sliced bread.
I will try again using your advice Linda. I can see that her nails have improved but it appears that we cannot get by the delamination on two of her nails. I have added structure gel this time, and may sculpt a small free edge on the two that are bad, just to get them passed that stage.

I have followed the instructions to the letter.

Thank you for your replies :)

I only apply the IBX Repair to the parts of the nails where the delamination is, not the whole nail and make sure it completely goes into the splits (mum read the instructions after I did and made sure I was doing it right "You've missed a bit" she says, "I can still see a white bit on that nail" lol - I think sometimes, the most critical clients are our own family :green:)

I will certainly persevere with the treatments Linda and try a double application of the IBX Repair and see if that helps.

I didn't photograph her thumb nails, but I will say that the IBX has certainly worked wonders on these nails - her thumb nails split vertically down the middle and after the first IBX treatment, these have disappeared :)

I will let you know how I get on over the next few weeks.

I advise my ladies to try and oil at least twice a day if possible and on extreme cases I have been using IBX with Vitagel Strengthener to give some extra protection and it seems to be working a treat :)

Also just check with your lady that its not getting too in the heat stage, I use an infra red lamp about 6-8" away but I kind of hold their hand so I can feel myself how hot its getting ;)

How is it there is so much fab advice on here regarding ibx and yet people can get it SO wrong. My sister in law was impressed with my ibx pics so had a treatment done in Fulham. The therapist used all the right products but my sis in law hated the bit that burnt her nails. The therapist said they had to be really hot. My sis in law said they were still sore the next day.
Please read the instructions, watch the vid and follow procedure.

Sorry. Rant over. To the op. I have had one client who I just had to say enough. Ibx just didn't work for her. Her nails really deteriorated after 2 treatments and she wasn't happy to continue. I totally rate ibx but I also believe that either due to health or meds there are some people that it just doesn't agree with. There is also some excellent advice on here of things to try! Fortunately burning the nails isn't one of them!
I have used it on many, many clients with great success.

Good luck

Vicki x

I agree Vicki, reading the instructions is important!!!

Unfortunately I have had the same thing happen to one of my clients. After an initial improvement of her nails, the delamination has got worse so it's a bit embarrassing after having sold this treatment to her as the next best thing since sliced bread.
I will try again using your advice Linda. I can see that her nails have improved but it appears that we cannot get by the delamination on two of her nails. I have added structure gel this time, and may sculpt a small free edge on the two that are bad, just to get them passed that stage.

I have followed the instructions to the letter.

Please let me know if you have any questions???

I would just like to make sure that everyone using IBX understands that when we say HEAT, all we want is a little bit of warmth to help IBX penetrate into those upper layers of the nail. NOT HOT!

If you are using an infra-red, blow dryer or a Minx Heat, you MUST move the hands away from that lamp, 16-18 inches would be perfect! We only need to warm. if you are using too much heat you will totally negate IBX, as it will basically just dissipate instead of penetrating, not mentioning we do not want to burn our customers!

The perfect amount of warmth is what you feel when you have a 75-100 W light bulb-that is it!!! Also, nail polish dryers that have a warm setting is the perfect amount of "heat"!!!

Any questions-please let me know.

Just to keep you updated:

2 weeks (and 2 treatments) later, here's the result

There was such a difference when I removed the gel polish today - there was no new delamination and her nails felt so much stronger when I was filing them.

So if there is anyone else out there that seems to have a problem with IBX not working at first, please persevere with it, it really does work - sometimes it takes a bit longer, but it really does work :)

Latest posts

Back