in need of advice!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxchelsxx

Reaction score
hi guys

just looking for some advice on what to do next, im finishing college in 8 weeks time which means ill be a fully qualified therapist but im a bit unsure what i should do, do i go mobile, rent a room or work in a salon?:eek: iv been working in a salon of a saturday since oct so have some experience and iv been trained up on thalgo face, body & aroma treatments, also opi man & ped. i enjoy working there, but they cant afford to give me more hours sadly.:irked: mobile does apeal to me as id like to be incharge, but should i gain more salon experience first??

xx

It all depends on how confident you are in your abilities!

I never worked for a salon other than work placements and I did miss out on the experience. By working in a salon you get to see what works and what dosnt etc. It helps prevent you from making costly mistakes in your own!

I love working for myself i have done both mobile and rented a room as well as my own salon.

Mobile means your overheads are low, you can be more flexible with your hours and it means you can build up a clientele before taking on a big commitment like a room or shop, however I found it disheartening some days as you are alone, you spend a lot of time travelling so lose more working hours, you have to put up and dismantle your stuff at every house, you can turn up to clients who are not in etc.

With a room in a salon you get footfall so less advertising is needed but you will have to be their all the time or at least to set hours. But if you dont get any clients you will still have overheads to pay!

Draw up a business plan for each and also a list of pros and cons and see what appeals to you most.

Good luck with it all!

Kate

Personally speaking i would work within a salon environment first for two reasons a) as you said to gain further experience and b) to have a fall back there is always that one client that doesnt quite fit the college mould and you panic or go blank that is when it is handy to have someone with some experience around you to ask questions. I have been in this business 8 years and only just gone mobile, I reckon you will learn an awful lot more from working within a salon that just on your own, keep that as an open option for later on xxxxx but obviously its your own personal choice and if you feel you are ready then go for it!!! we are all here to back you up if you have a wobble x

Latest posts

Back