Indian head massage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemma890

Reaction score
I've just started an indian head massage course and to be honest I'm finding it harder than I expected, I'm quite short 5"3 and really struggle doing it with the client seated. I was just wondering how many of you offer it on the couch. I already offer massage on the couch and thought this may be an easier way of doing it (as I'm short) If I adapted it in some way to the couch.

Also I've been taught that I need a GP note for all diabetics and high or low blood pressure, most of my clients have at least one of these that come to me for massage or reflexology and they have told me they can't wait for me to be able to do it as they love it. Just wondering if you really get all your diabetic clients to get a note before they can have treatment.

Thanks x

Yep, you need a gp note for clients with diabetes. Keep things above board re insurance.

Many spas and salons don't have a massage chairs and so Indian head massage is carried out with the client on the bed. In a 45min treatment, I do 15 with the client face down in order to work on the upper back up to the back of the head and then ask the client to turn over for the rest of the treatment.

I do the same. As worked in many spas. Im also 5.3. I love the proper massage chairs that you can get to sit a client in but must say the treatment is just as effective on the couch. I also do 45 mins. Back, back of scalp, turn over and then front of scalp & face x

I always found this treatment awkward and never felt I fully got to grips with it so I don't offer it .
However your suggestion for using the couch may work better cx

I always lie my clients on the couch, it's much comfier for the client in my opinion, and it's a lot better for my posture too. X

Thanks for your replies I'm going to give it a go on the couch and see what moves work xx

I used to do it with the client seated, and have tried the massage chairs, but to be honest I much prefer to do it on the couch. It's much less strain on my back, and most clients seem to prefer it.

I'm thinking of training in this, has anyone tried the head rests that sit or fix on the table?
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1466099295.286648.jpg

I have one of those head rests that sits on the couch, but I only ever use it if I'm doing mini-treatments at an event. However, whilst I prefer to use the couch, having worked with both a massage chair and one of those portable head rests that sits on a table, either are perfectly fine for Inidan Head Massage.

The main issue I find when not doing them on the couch is having to get them to lean back to do the face and front of scalp - it gives me a back ache having to reach over them!

I do it on the couch. I'm a little under 5'2 and when it comes to the face massage if done in a chair I just can't see what im doing and the chances of poking a client in the eye are really quite high!:rolleyes:

Can I ask how you start the treatment on the back or the front? xx

I start on their back and finish on the face.

I'm the same, they start on their front and I massage back, shoulders, neck, arms and back of head (supporting so not pushing them into the couch). They turn over and then more work on shoulders, neck, head and face.

Edited that so it made sense!!

Last edited:
The reason I start on the back is that the treatment is more about the face, scalp and neck and shoulders. I want them to relax into it and have a snooze so I do the back first because it's the shorter part of the treatment (I spend 1/3 time on back and 2/3 time on the rest of the treatment once I've got them to turn over).

Back