Initial reactions please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eliza Doolittle

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to rent a beauty room with an existing clientele - the Therapist is leaving altogether as has family problems.

This is something I have thought of on & off for ages now and have also turned down a couple of offers as my gut feeling told me it was not for me.

However, as I said, this is a very busy room with an existing clientele BUT it is 26 miles away from where I live. Is it too far - I know my mobile clients will not visit me there due to the distance.

Do any of you have a business like this far from home? Do you think it could work?

Thanks again for your input x

I used to work full time, 45miles away from home just because i loved the place so much and my clientele! you kinda get used to the distance, if you realy in love with your job! although now, i don't think i will do that again, with the rising cost of fuel! consider the time that it will take you to get there, your fuel, your endurance both physically and mentally, weight everything and make your decision.
Personnaly now, i don't want to drive more than 20min!

God bless

26miles of bypass or motorway would take no time at all so it's not so much distance but travel time!

I don't think 26miles is very far to travel and many clients may feel more at ease with an out of towner as they can tell you anything and you won't gas to anyone.

Plus for bikini waxes they would probably rather flash a stranger than their neighbour xxx

Hi there

Are you sure she has family problems and it's not landlord related or complaint related? Do a bit more homework if you can, don't sign anything without getting advice.

Only reason I say this is I walked into a hairdressing salon one day that happened to have room to rent, good location etc. No written contract which suited me, owner was obvioulsy on the fiddle as she only wanted cash for rent from me and no rent book. Anyway got lots of clients and made a really good friend out of one of the hairdressers there, didn't take long before what she was telling me about the landlady to become true. She was a BITCH, the atmosphere was awful I don't know how she managed to get clients herself. Anyway a real learning curve - I left.

Also although you say 26 miles is not far that's 52 miles a day in traffic jams, (is there parking?) all sorts of weather not to mention the cost of fuel, and being in the beauty business is not one of the most lucrative jobs.

There's no reason why you can't give it a trial of course, but make sure you know where you stand eg rent increase, who pays for light bulbs, will your door be lockable when you leave, stupid things like that. Oh the woman I rented from unplugged my timer switch for my waxing pot before I turned up one morning (no hot wax ready for clients!) said she didn't want timers used (fire hazard I guess but it's something that wasn't discussed).

Think of everything

Deb379

Last edited:
I agree with Deb379, do your research regarding the Landlord, and the previous therapist! also trust your instinct!

thanks for your thoughts. I will go and see the salon next week and see what the travelling is like etc and then weigh up my pro's and con's!

Thank you
x

if its any help, I rent 2 rooms, one's 2 miles away and the other is 10 miles away.
I dont mind the travel, but sometimes I only go to the furthest one for 1 treatment, and I sometimes resent that. Obviously if you are going to be there all day its not a bother.

Thanks Hippy Chick. I am going to see the salon tomorrow and decide from there. x

Latest posts

Back