Ink London help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterfly Beauty

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help. I've just bough Ink London and am practising in on myself before using with clients. My thumbs and index fingers keep lifting. I've been really careful to seal the fee edge, but it's still happening. Any suggestions would be gratefully received

What product are you using?

I had the same issue and got in touch with Ink. They advised to apply the layers very thinly and to use two off the Rock top coat. Made a difference. Hope this helps. Xx

I had the same issue and got in touch with Ink. They advised to apply the layers very thinly and to use two off the Rock top coat. Made a difference. Hope this helps. Xx
That's great, thank you. Do you find that 2 very thin layers of colour enough, or are you applying more coats?

2 thin layers are enough, but the paler one required 3. Also stir them really well

2 thin layers are enough, but the paler one required 3. Also stir them really well

I give a good shake but perhaps I'll buy a stirrer. Do you buff the nail or follow Ink's advice not to?

No, I don't buff. I also find it removes very well

No, I don't buff. I also find it removes very well
Thanks Effi.

I think I may also order their fortify polish as it says it's good for people who are particularly hard on their nails

Sorry, gel polish
Ok I wasn't sure if you meant iLac or iJel, if you're used to other products I can only emphasise to apply it thinly :) I use shellac and iLac and they're so different I have to try 10x harder to apply thinly with iLac the brush is huge and it has too much product on it in my opinion so it's easy to paint to thickly which will of course cause lifting x

Ok I wasn't sure if you meant iLac or iJel, if you're used to other products I can only emphasise to apply it thinly :) I use shellac and iLac and they're so different I have to try 10x harder to apply thinly with iLac the brush is huge and it has too much product on it in my opinion so it's easy to paint to thickly which will of course cause lifting x
Thank you. At the mo I'm reapplying my nails as each one chips so I'm getting the chance to refine my technique each time. I know what you mean about the amount of product on the brush. Fingers crossed by the time I use it on a client I'll have it down to a fine art!

What prep work do you do?

As previously mentioned, iLac needs to be applied thinly, especially the base coat. If you have used Gelish it should almost be as think as the Foundation gel, but ink's base coat is runnier and have a full size brush, so you need to be careful.

I never do 2 coats of top coat, unless it's over glitter or any other kind and f nail art, but I would do that wtoo th any brand.

What lamp do you use? How is your hand pkacement in the lamp?

What prep work do you do?

As previously mentioned, iLac needs to be applied thinly, especially the base coat. If you have used Gelish it should almost be as think as the Foundation gel, but ink's base coat is runnier and have a full size brush, so you need to be careful.

I never do 2 coats of top coat, unless it's over glitter or any other kind and f nail art, but I would do that wtoo th any brand.

What lamp do you use? How is your hand pkacement in the lamp?

Hi. I wondered about 2 top coats as reading an earlier response, Ink London had recommended it.

I am being super careful with applying thin layers, so hopefully I've got that right now.

I have the Ink London lamp as I wanted to be sure that it was the right frequency for their polish and I'm going to order a stirrer, (I'm giving a good shake at the mo, but they recommend stirring).

I think my hand placement is ok but I'd welcome any tips to ensure that it's right.

Hi. I wondered about 2 top coats as reading an earlier response, Ink London had recommended it.

I am being super careful with applying thin layers, so hopefully I've got that right now.

I have the Ink London lamp as I wanted to be sure that it was the right frequency for their polish and I'm going to order a stirrer, (I'm giving a good shake at the mo, but they recommend stirring).

I think my hand placement is ok but I'd welcome any tips to ensure that it's right.

Brill! Yeah I think the top coat thing is down personal preference and wear, I don't find it necessary for normal polish application.

Do the chipping always happen on the same fingers? We tend to use our thumb and index fingers the most so they will be more prone to wear and tear.

Does the polish come off clean from the nail plate? If so this likely means it didn't adhere properly, which is usually caused by prep. What prep work do you do before you apply the base?

Brill! Yeah I think the top coat thing is down personal preference and wear, I don't find it necessary for normal polish application.

Do the chipping always happen on the same fingers? We tend to use our thumb and index fingers the most so they will be more prone to wear and tear.

Does the polish come off clean from the nail plate? If so this likely means it didn't adhere properly, which is usually caused by prep. What prep work do you do before you apply the base?
It's my forefinger and thumb that chip. I think to begin with I had the application to thick so hopefully I've resolved that. I'll know in a day or so as I reapplied those fingers yesterday.

I've just watched the youTube vidoes on application and think I still need to apply even thinner. I' have 1 nail I'm not happy with so I may take that off and reapply.

Do you remove the inhibition layer after the base coat like they suggest on the video? Also, how long it it lasting for your clients?

It's my forefinger and thumb that chip. I think to begin with I had the application to thick so hopefully I've resolved that. I'll know in a day or so as I reapplied those fingers yesterday.

I've just watched the youTube vidoes on application and think I still need to apply even thinner. I' have 1 nail I'm not happy with so I may take that off and reapply.

Do you remove the inhibition layer after the base coat like they suggest on the video? Also, how long it it lasting for your clients?

Sometimes when you apply gel polish to yourself you may want to change your steps.
I prep and completely finish one hand at a time, to minimise touching the nails on things and contaminating the application.
I also start with my pinky and work towards the thumb nail, as I twist my thumb to do the other nails, which would otherwise cause the polish to run down the sidewalls.
I also sometimes flash cure, if I take a long time, especially when applying with my worst hand.

If it's always the same fingers, it suggest either you are doing something different when applying g those nails, or your hand placement is off in the lamp, so those fingers aren't curing correctly.

I would try doing one of those fingers separately when you reapply the polish and see if you get better results.

I don't personally wipe the base coat, I know some people do as they were seeing shrinkage of the first colour coat, I've never experienced this and I find a good shake/stir really makes a difference.

Sometimes when you apply gel polish to yourself you may want to change your steps.
I prep and completely finish one hand at a time, to minimise touching the nails on things and contaminating the application.
I also start with my pinky and work towards the thumb nail, as I twist my thumb to do the other nails, which would otherwise cause the polish to run down the sidewalls.
I also sometimes flash cure, if I take a long time, especially when applying with my worst hand.

If it's always the same fingers, it suggest either you are doing something different when applying g those nails, or your hand placement is off in the lamp, so those fingers aren't curing correctly.

I would try doing one of those fingers separately when you reapply the polish and see if you get better results.

I don't personally wipe the base coat, I know some people do as they were seeing shrinkage of the first colour coat, I've never experienced this and I find a good shake/stir really makes a difference.

Thanks for your help Anna, I appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my questions.

Latest posts

Back