Is it illegal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anya haigh

Reaction score
Is it illegal to work employed at a Salon and self employed at another

No, you can be employed in one workplace and self employed in another, you just need to fill in a tax return each year. There will be a page to fill in your employed earnings and another to fill in your self employment earnings.
Make sure you keep records for both - income & expenses.
Go online to the government website to set yourself up as self employed once you have started, this way you will be ready to submit your tax assessment when this tax year ends in April 2024.

No, you can be employed in one workplace and self employed in another, you just need to fill in a tax return each year. There will be a page to fill in your employed earnings and another to fill in your self employment earnings.
Make sure you keep records for both - income & expenses.
Go online to the government website to set yourself up as self employed once you have started, this way you will be ready to submit your tax assessment when this tax year ends in April 2024.
So apparently according to the hair federation it’s a sackable effective is that true

can you provide a link please?
I can’t you have to be a business manager to get in touch that’s why I’m asking on here x

I can’t you have to be a business manager to get in touch that’s why I’m asking on here x

Where did you see the information? As far as I'm aware no governing body has greater powers than HMRC, it is not illegal to he employed and self employed at the same time, as long as the correct income tax is paid on each set of earnings of course

So apparently according to the hair federation it’s a sackable effective is that true
Why ask the question if you don't want to hear answers? It isn't illegal to have two jobs anywhere. It doesn't matter if you have a job where someone employs you Monday to Friday, and on weekends you work for yourself at home.
If you believe this to be false, there MUST be written rules somewhere about it. Employment Law is complex and there would be legislation for it somewhere if it were true.

Something doesn’t have to be illegal for it to amount to gross misconduct and be a reasonable and legal reason for your employer to dismiss you.

In general, being in business on your own account, offering services that you are also paid by an employer to provide, is potentially undermining your employer’s business. Your employer can quite legitimately get the hump - after all you might be soliciting your employer’s customers to come to you direct. .

It can be managed as long as your employer knows about it, or it’s a very different service - a mobile service, or a Wedding hair business or hair extensions should be fine if this is not the work you do for your employer. You should be open with your employer because anything that irretrievably breaks down trust or good faith between you and your employer can be grounds for dismissal.

Your employer doesn’t own you, however some employment contracts state that you cannot have other work and they want your services exclusively. Your employer is entitled to expect you to do the best work you can and not turn up too tired or too distracted to do a good job, so they can require you to disclose other employment. You can ask for permission if you want to have another job and that shouldn’t be withheld unreasonably- but your employer can say “no”. In some circumstances, being employed in a particular business adds a lot of value to someone. I can say I’m “Harrod’s trained” for instance, and that adds to my value and makes it easier for me to set up on my own. If I worked for Harrod’s and also had my own “as trained by Harrod’s” business it could be argued that I was “passing off” and undermining Harrod’s exclusive reputation and competing for similar trade. They could sack me in this scenario.

I have employed beauty therapists that were also self employed in businesses that didn’t undermine my business (or so I thought) - I noticed that their columns didn’t build and they didn’t have regular clients that asked for them by name. I felt that we lost a few clients. Once these girls were no longer with me, I found that my business built up again so I was left with the suspicion that I had been inadvertently helping my former employees build their businesses rather than my own. I also noticed that product lasted longer, so I have other dark thoughts.

I know that lots of businesses are happy to employ people that also have their own business. However, based on my experience, I wouldn’t.

Latest posts

Back