Is it wrong to want some "me time" at the end of day?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LieLash

Reaction score
Hi geeks - as most of is know this industry can mean very long hours and having to accommodate clients needs.
I start appointments from my home salon at 9am most days and don't usually wave the last one off until 9pm - so it's a long old day.
But lately I'm getting a bit fed up with my last evening clients asking if it's ok if they are 30 mins late because they need to sort the kids out etc.
During the day this would not be permitted due to running apps back to back but in the eve I have no one else in so it won't affect other clients.

However it's a long old day and I seem to get just a few hours for myself and my partner after I've finished cleaning / sterilizing etc before off to bed and get up to start again.

So do you think it's ok to say to these clients " no that's not ok" or in this industry should we accommodate like this. I think I know the answer but always interested to hear other opinions.

Hi

I think if it is a one off being late is fine but not all of the time you are running a business and it is not fair

Its not okay for people to do this. Firstly because as you rightly say, you need some wind down time, and secondly, these are late appointments as it is.
Please tell your clients nicely that no, they can't come half hour later. If you leave this issue, the resentment will grow inside and impair your enjoyment of your job. Better to tackle this nicely than blow up at someone, because I can guarantee that those clients will soon be making it an hour later, because you don't mind.

I agree with the above hun. I had to nip it in the bud as I had a few do it to me. In the end, I had to specify my WORKING hours. Just like a salon would. Just like Tesco would. .. you wouldn't call Tesco and ask them to stay open half hour late so you could sort the kids out.

At the end of the day you are running a business and have working hours. I'm sure they wouldn't be happy if they were in work and their boss asked them to work late with no extra pay or time back so that someone could sort their kids out or whatever!

You will give them an inch and they'll take a mile.

Have some time out hun. You deserve it. You work so hard xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree with all of the above tell them no it is not ok!
Try that with the dentist, doctor or optician and so forth, business is business you are not their slave!
If this carries on they will be calling you Xmas day after they chipped a nail peeling the spuds!

It's cheeky for them to even ask:)

Your opening and closing times are your opening and closing times Hun, you have a balance to be struck between business and family/you time and they should really respect that. Xxx

Exactly what I thought ladies. Thank you for confirming this xx

Put a halt on those things ASAP.

It's because the customer thinks that just because you work from home it's not a proper business.

They need to respect your time, a few simple no's will put them in their place.

Also turn the phone off after a certain time or they'll ring you up at 10.30pm to make an appointment..... I'm not kidding either, been there.

Latest posts

Back