Is this true-if you start offering discounts, you'll always be a discount place?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riva

Reaction score
I've been told this on a number on occasions and not sure what to believe.

To get from 0 to 400 (our current subscribed mailing list), I had to do many offers on all the usual platforms. Upsell and cross sell has been pretty good with follow on treatments. Many return clients as well. Quite frankly I use esp Wahanda simply as an advertising avenue, more than as a discount site, also to go higher on Google ranks. Another important reason is so that I can keep buying stock and so it looks like I'm a good potential client (with more benefits- this is already showing).

I've had quite a few people telling me to 'never' do it. I really would have no clients if I didn't. I'm assuming that rule is for established businesses?

They say that once people associate you with always offering discounts, they would never go unless there are discounts. In all honesty, I am seeing this already- even a lady who basically told me to simply give her the discounted price at all times so that she doesn't have to waste time shopping around.

How and when do you make the switch to not so many discounts?

Once you start if you stop you'll lose loads of custom.

I offer a monthly offer always something different. Or sometimes a little add on freebie . Can't say it's cost me clients to be honest it's gained me attention as I only opened a new salon August and have 95% rebook

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't think its strictly true but I often think of pizza express. There used to be an occasional offer on, or you would sign up to their website and receive a voucher that would make you feel rather special. Then suddenly their vouchers are everywhere. You now see people scanning their phones for an offer before the bill comes. Or you're the sad loser who doesn't know there are offers and you end up paying full price.

I believe an offer should be time limited and a little bit exclusive. It should go out in an email but not be plastered all over the salon windows. We do an offer every month to our existing clientèle. It encourages them to subscribe and actually read our newsletters. It isn't a massive deal, but just a promo that month.

If you are only known for doing discounts, you may need to change things slowly. Only have one offer per month and point your discount hungry clients in the direction of it.

I truly believe that like attracts like and a quick fix to boost your client list, like Groupon etc will attract clients who will never pay full price. If you can build a solid foundation of clients with steady, organic growth, you will have a far more loyal clientèle.

I did Groupon many years ago and it was simply the worst thing I have ever done. I partied for 24 hours when it was over.

Good luck

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't believe in constantly giving discounts, it will be expected of you all the time.
I know some therapists who do monthly offers or 10% off if there has been a last minute cancellation which they want to fill and I think it looks really tacky, Sorry!
The only time i do an offer is in January as it's my way of saying a small thank you to my loyal clients. X

I'm wondering if things are different for a new business. I'm all for organic growth- that's ideal for everyone. But when I look back and think about the number of clients who have come in after finding us online- mostly guys as well, and medical services- I would have been subsidising the business a great deal.

Saying that, January has mostly been repeat clientele- now paying the much higher price for 2nd treatment, after seeing results of the first; also a conversion from aesthetic to medical. I do feel a sense of panic beginning of every month though- this will be my first February....

I also believe that its a different market in different parts of the country. Doesn't make things easier though. Good to know your opinions. I do think you're right. Which makes it quite scary!!

I think it depends the type of promotion you do. I do "limited time only" monthly promotions on the services I offer or I will put something free as a treat. I also do last minute deals when I see it will be quiet the end of month. These discounted services are usually ones not found on my existing service list. I have never lost clients in fact I have gained clients from it :)

Maybe change things and stop doing heavily discounted promotions. Those who ask for ongoing discounts explain to them it was limited time only and that's it. If they get mad or they are the bargain hunter type then you don't want/need them as clients anyway.

My own feeling is that you need a good story to explain a discount. I can't see how you can build a business base out of discounted treatments.

I do Groupon deals but I make sure that there is a story. My full price clients get told (truthfully) that I want to practise a new protocol or get familiar with new products "and I don't want to practise on my clients,". My discount clients get told "I've taken on a newly qualified therapist who needs a bit of practise to get up to industry speed" Or this is a new treatment and we don't have a client base so we wanted to advertise it/we've invested heavily and we need to get some of our investment back quickly.

I try and put together packages on Groupon which aren't on my menu - I guess it might look like artificial price inflation but that isn't legal - the point is that I package a treatment that gives me the price point that I need for the time/product cost. So my full paying clients get the post stuff whilst my GroupOns get the "more dash than cash"

So I have an offer on Groupon at the moment for a luxury mani with heat treatment. There are lots of different ways to deliver a heat treatment and lots of alternative products, so I brush on a fantastic Cuccio dermal cream that I bought on offer and slip the hands into velour mitts and put a heat lamp over.

My full price clients get paraffin wax which they absolutely love and which costs me more in product cost. I can have both treatments running side by side and everyone is happy at the price they paid.

I also do a luxury pedi with thai reflexology massage on Groupon, I usually do thai foot massage on a couch in a private room - by incorporating it into a pedi (which I do in the main salon area) I am demonstrating the treatment - and the look of absolute bliss is great advertising :). It doesn't cost ME that much because I give a great massage in a luxury pedi anyway - so swapping in the thai massage time is only an extra 15 mins. I always try and book my GroupOns when I have other clients in so that I can showcase a luxury treatment and "normalise" it.

Latest posts

Back