Leaving the E.U-affects on business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahpoppy24

Reaction score
Hi guys was just wondering what everyone thinks about the upcoming E.U referendum and how it will affect the industry. What about the cost of supplies imported from abroad, working hours, wages and all the other stuff, cost of education etc? I have no idea what to think and have no clue about any of it? The government haven't given any information about how we will be governed out of the E.U. And I guess if we stay in everything will just be how it is now. Any suppliers on here know anything? Anyone got any idea? I'm in the dark xx

It shouldn't make any difference. Import charges still exist and as most of the products are made outside of the EU anyway, it's likely to stay the same.

I wish I knew more about the EU referendum. I literally know nothing.

Thankfully my brother in law like politics. So I'm going to ask him how it will affect me as a small business owner, tax payer, wanting to save for a house etc etc.

I don't feel there's been enough information put out there.

But it's good to know that business wise it shouldn't affect anything...

If we vote out of the EU that means the country will regain control over areas like employment law and health and safety, so highly likely there would be changes although probably over a long term.
Being out would also mean that Britain could renegotiate a different trading relationship with the EU, without being bound by EU law. It would probably mean there would be more deals with America, China and India.

I don't think anyone can really predict what will happen as it would be a complete step in to the unknown....

Hi guys was just wondering what everyone thinks about the upcoming E.U referendum and how it will affect the industry. What about the cost of supplies imported from abroad, working hours, wages and all the other stuff, cost of education etc? I have no idea what to think and have no clue about any of it? The government haven't given any information about how we will be governed out of the E.U. And I guess if we stay in everything will just be how it is now. Any suppliers on here know anything? Anyone got any idea? I'm in the dark xx

The EU has only existed since the 90s, we will go back to being a normal country imo :cool:

Switzerland is not part of the EU. At the beginning of last year, the Swiss voted in a referendum to come out of Schengen, a trading partnership. The EU immediately stopped all the trade agreements, research collaborations, border agreements etc and the Swiss government were forced to back down and reimplement Schengen. Other countries outside the EU have found the same. The reason companies like Nissan say they would have to consider where they're based is nothing to do with how people work, it's much more to do with how difficult trading could become if you have to start trading as a country outside the EU.

The EU as a single entity is the world's largest economy, greater than China or America. My view is that if Britain left the EU partnership, trade will suffer as other EU countries will trade amongst themselves and Britain will be given the proverbial 'cold shoulder' when trying to negotiate deals.

I stumbled on this site while pondering the in/out question and while I know that's not what this thread was asking, I thought I'd leave the link ... Keeping it for my bedtime reading, should have me asleep in no time lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32810887

The EU has only existed since the 90s, we will go back to being a normal country imo :cool:

I'm not sure I can agree with you on that. :)

Our relationship with our allies in Europe go back much further than the nineties. The EEC was created by the Treaty of Rome in 1957. In simple terms, the European allies got together after WW2 primarily to help rebuild the economy and ensure stability in Europe. Prior to WW2, Britain was the worlds biggest financial lender to other nations but after the war, became one of the biggest debtors.

The last referendum in the seventies concerned Britain joining the 'Common Market' primarily as a trading partner. The EU was formed from this in 1993.

(The European Court of Human Rights established in 1959 is a separate entity, so even if Britain left the EU, it would still be bound by the decisions of the court.)

Other countries not members of the EU trade with no problems with countries all over the world - id say the question is how difficult would the EU make it for the UK (if) we are voted out in a referendum. I very much doubt it will happen though! My husband trades with Germany and they do not see any major problems arising. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and panic - Brits are great at this!

The change from the common market to the creation of the EU wasn't a natural progression, it was a panicked reaction to the fall of the Soviet Union and specifically the reunification of East and West Germany. The creation of a single currency (the Euro) was the main aim, which the UK opted out of. There were only 12 countries at the time, and there was a "We'll deal with those problems later, let's just get this going" attitude at the time, which led to Thatcher being kicked out by her own party. Well those problems were never dealt with, and there are now 28 countries so more problems to deal with than ever before. We were not some backward country in 1993, we were coming out of a very bad recession and had an improving economy. And things like Schengen, the Council of Europe and CEN standards (three things often touted as benefits of the EU) were already in existence OR created separately from the EU. So yes we're def going to disagree with this one, I think the EU is a bloated and corrupt institute, and I'm horrified at the extreme right and extreme left MEPs in the EU parliament voting on policies affecting us :eek: The only good thing I can say is that I went to the EU parliament once and their cafeteria is top notch:cool:

when we initially joined the EU it was for trade purposes only. Since then those in power at Brussels (who have not been voted in by anyone!) have insisted on other laws being passed and us having to agree to more and more terms. i imagine trade would remain the same but it does also allow us to trade with countries that the EU does not. also we are part of the commonwealth which no other EU country is and therefore trade negotiations should be relatively straight forward.

i would also imagine that policies in regards to employment law would remain the same as well as health and safety. if we did leave it would also mean that the UK could go after big companies that have avoided paying tax more easily and could also push for the brisith jobs for british workers which europe is desperate to ensure does not go through. if changes like this were to happen then as a nation the economy would be in a better place and the population would have a higher discretionary income, meaning you could be earning more and that tax bands for small businesses and employees could increase.

issue is that the EU has us over a barrell on so many things and we no longer get a say in what should or shouldnt happen within our own country. you only have to look at the latest challenges that the PM has bought to the EU for them to laugh at him. we also pay the most in membership out of any EU country yet we get the least say on policies, that membership could go towards are things that you as a small business are paying for in tax.

the EU want us to leave as they see us as a thorn in their side and the way that things are going it is on the brink of collapse and a cold world may start. we seem to forget that we have on of the strongest economies globally, which the EU wants a piece of, and that we can stand on our own. we should not be nervous of leaving and in fact should be claiming our identity back. you only need to look at the big names supporting us leaving the EU to know that this is probably the better option. if we were to stay then the EU would laugh at us and take us for everything we have, then we really would be screwed.

Can anyone recommend some websites to read?

I REALLY want an even balance of in vs out.

Lots of my clients want out and go 'back to how it used to be'.

I don't feel I have enough information to have an opinion!

I'd really like to know more.

when we initially joined the EU it was for trade purposes only. Since then those in power at Brussels (who have not been voted in by anyone!) have insisted on other laws being passed and us having to agree to more and more terms.

For goodness sake! Do you know what an MEP is?

(Member of the European Parliament)

In the European and also UK parliaments, the basic legal drafting is undertaken by the civil servants but the everything is debated and passed by the parliamentary representatives as voted for by the people.

My answer has no fancy terms as politics doesn't interest me. But I see things like years ago the pitts closed, sent us into a huge pile of problems in the north, the steal industry is gradually being broken up so we don't have that to go on. If we leave the next 3 generations won't stand a chance of being able to buy a house due to the price of everything rising. Is it Sweden where a loaf of bread is £6 pound nearly? This is the way I see the UK going. It's wasn't long ago scotland wanted to leave us. For the way we ran things. It's bad. But not as bad as if we stood on our own as a smaller country. Just my thoughts, like I say not particularly fussed what way it goes.

Can anyone recommend some websites to read?

I REALLY want an even balance of in vs out.

Lots of my clients want out and go 'back to how it used to be'.

I don't feel I have enough information to have an opinion!

I'd really like to know more.

Go back up the thread Grace, I put a link in to a BBC one I found

Go back up the thread Grace, I put a link in to a BBC one I found
Thanks! I must have missed that!! Is it both sides?

My answer has no fancy terms as politics doesn't interest me. But I see things like years ago the pitts closed, sent us into a huge pile of problems in the north, the steal industry is gradually being broken up so we don't have that to go on. If we leave the next 3 generations won't stand a chance of being able to buy a house due to the price of everything rising. Is it Sweden where a loaf of bread is £6 pound nearly? This is the way I see the UK going. It's wasn't long ago scotland wanted to leave us. For the way we ran things. It's bad. But not as bad as if we stood on our own as a smaller country. Just my thoughts, like I say not particularly fussed what way it goes.

It was Thatcher's Tory government that closed the Pits and shafted the Steel industry. That had nothing to do with the EU. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is: nobody really knows what will happen if we leave the EU, just as much as nobody really knows what will happen if we stay in. It's all guess work.
IMO all the rules seem to work against us, what ever way. If the Gov want eu legislation in, they let it in. If they don't they find away round it. If they want it it ( but don't want to admit it ) they say 'it was forced upon us'!

Thanks! I must have missed that!! Is it both sides?

Yes it's quite good i think

Scroll down quite a way and there's a bit that sums up arguments before and against

Interesting reading x

It might have been thatcher who done it. But what have we got left to trade with that belong to us. Pretty much nothing.

Latest posts

Back