LED lamp for IBD system?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlyssaMacD

Reaction score
For some reason I can't find a satisfactory answer to this question anywhere.

I started with a cheap gel system from Shoppers Drug Mart and I bought the Nailene UV lamp about two years ago. I gradually invested and worked my way up to better, more permanent products, namely the IBD system that I buy at Sally Beauty Supply. Now I think my lamp is pretty much toast from being bumped around during my move and I am in the market for a new one. It may be important to note that I only do gels on myself, not professionally or for money under the table; I'm something of a broke Master's student.

Now heres the problem: I know that LED lamps are the new thing - they're pretty much all I can get without going online, which I find kind of sketchy for a bigger purchase like this. I've done my research. However, I have a significant amount of money invested in my IBD products and I don't know if they will cure under the LED lamp. I have emailed the company with no response and I have seen a few threads that indicate they will but I'm not satisfied with just that; I'd like some more feedback.

So you can see the dilemma here, right? I'd like to stay ahead of the tech curve and use a more energy economical lamp but I can't really afford a whole new set of products. HELP!

As far as I can tell, a photo of the products I am using is attached to this post. It doesnt explicitly say LED on any of them, but the Gelish cures with UV so I don't see why the gel wouldn't cure with LED. Want to be sure though.

Attachments

• IMG_1485.jpg
    IMG_1485.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 187
They do cure under a lbd lamp, as they sell a led lamp on their website. Why sell a led lamp if it wouldn't cure your own gels ? There called jet lamps from ibd. Very good but costly x

The hard gel by ibd is not led curable, you will not get a full cure if you use the led lamp with this system. The ibd led lamp was designed to be used with their gel polish not hard gel. the jet 5000 is the uv lamp. Hope this helps.

Sorry I was wrong they do have a led hard gel but unfortunately the gel in your pic isn't it x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

I started with a cheap gel system from Shoppers Drug Mart and I bought the Nailene UV lamp about two years ago. I gradually invested and worked my way up to better, more permanent products, namely the IBD system that I buy at Sally Beauty Supply. Now I think my lamp is pretty much toast from being bumped around during my move and I am in the market for a new one. It may be important to note that I only do gels on myself, not professionally or for money under the table; I'm something of a broke Master's student.

Now heres the problem: I know that LED lamps are the new thing - they're pretty much all I can get without going online, which I find kind of sketchy for a bigger purchase like this. I've done my research. However, I have a significant amount of money invested in my IBD products and I don't know if they will cure under the LED lamp. I have emailed the company with no response and I have seen a few threads that indicate they will but I'm not satisfied with just that; I'd like some more feedback.

So you can see the dilemma here, right? I'd like to stay ahead of the tech curve and use a more energy economical lamp but I can't really afford a whole new set of products. HELP!

As far as I can tell, a photo of the products I am using is attached to this post. It doesnt explicitly say LED on any of them, but the Gelish cures with UV so I don't see why the gel wouldn't cure with LED. Want to be sure though.

Hello and welcome to the site.

Please can I ask you to complete your Profile as soon as possible, so we know a little about you and your training/qualifications.

Thanks.

Hello and welcome to the site.

Please can I ask you to complete your Profile as soon as possible, so we know a little about you and your training/qualifications.

Thanks.

Hey, I completed what I could. I'm not a professional - that's why I'm here!

A

The hard gel by ibd is not led curable, you will not get a full cure if you use the led lamp with this system. The ibd led lamp was designed to be used with their gel polish not hard gel. the jet 5000 is the uv lamp. Hope this helps.

Sorry I was wrong they do have a led hard gel but unfortunately the gel in your pic isn't it x

Thanks for the info! I don't really know where to go with this now... get a new UV? Maybe try replacing my bulbs? Invest in a soak off system? So many options!

Hey, I completed what I could. I'm not a professional - that's why I'm here!

A

Thanks for that.

However, without having undertaken any formal training, you really shouldn't be experimenting with professional systems or products since otherwise, you could do some real damage to your nails, short and long term, without even realising it.

All nail professionals would recommend you to seek the services of a qualified technician or recommended salon via an authorised distributor's salon locator.

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not interested in that. I do this as a hobby and I am very gentle. I know more about this than many "professionals" I know in my area and my natural nails are clearly in good health (no splitting, breaking, discolouration, abnormal bumps or shapes, etc.)

Alyssa, I have an old-ish Nailene LED lamp that I got with a starter gel kit years ago at the supermarket. It DOES cure my IBD hard gel just fine. One issue though, and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the lamp or not, I'm having all kinds if problems with the IBD lifting. I've tried all kinds of things to try to get better adhesion and so far nothing has worked. I only bring that up because curing with UV instead of LED is something I haven't tried yet in my many attempts to keep gel nails on beyond 1 day. Not saying the lamp has anything to do with the lifting, just throwin the info out there :)

Alyssa, I have an old-ish Nailene LED lamp that I got with a starter gel kit years ago at the supermarket. It DOES cure my IBD hard gel just fine. One issue though, and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the lamp or not, I'm having all kinds if problems with the IBD lifting. I've tried all kinds of things to try to get better adhesion and so far nothing has worked. I only bring that up because curing with UV instead of LED is something I haven't tried yet in my many attempts to keep gel nails on beyond 1 day. Not saying the lamp has anything to do with the lifting, just throwin the info out there :)
Sara,

It sounds to me like thats probably it - I kind of had a feeling when I posted that LED wouldn't work and that would be why.

That said, where are your nails lifting from? I always have trouble with them lifting from the bottom like the day after I put on a fresh set. I think it's because I don't build up enough in that area in an attempt to avoid getting it on my cuticles. So frustrating!

A

If you are curing a uv only gel with a led lamp that will be the reason you are getting lifting as you will not be getting an even cure xx

Mine have been mostly lifting at the sides. I don't really feel like putting money into a UV lamp right now so I'm taking a break from trying to get hard gel to work on me. For the past couple weeks I've had regular gelish polish on and used the IBD intense seal as my top coat. Aside from a tiny, noticeable only to me, crack in the top coat of my thumb, it's worked great. I think next time I'm at the beauty supply store I'll pick up some gelish hard gel and give it a try. I'm not sure why I've been reluctant to try the gelish hard gel since it's LED curable and I love their polish so much. Maybe I read somewhere that using it for sculptured tips isn't the greatest because it's more flexible than other hard gels??? Have you ever tried gelish hard gel?

I haven't tried the ibd soak offs or the gelish hard gels. I've been using ibd hard gels since I started doing nails seriously. I hear lots of good things about gelish though.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using SalonGeek mobile app

Mine have been mostly lifting at the sides. I don't really feel like putting money into a UV lamp right now so I'm taking a break from trying to get hard gel to work on me. For the past couple weeks I've had regular gelish polish on and used the IBD intense seal as my top coat. Aside from a tiny, noticeable only to me, crack in the top coat of my thumb, it's worked great. I think next time I'm at the beauty supply store I'll pick up some gelish hard gel and give it a try. I'm not sure why I've been reluctant to try the gelish hard gel since it's LED curable and I love their polish so much. Maybe I read somewhere that using it for sculptured tips isn't the greatest because it's more flexible than other hard gels??? Have you ever tried gelish hard gel?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1405951770.456557.jpg

Girl I just grabbed this power bond that I get great reviews for. I will let you know how it does. Might help with your lifting. Mine are much better this time around (more careful application and blotted the bonder, excuse my cuticles I have been SO busy) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1405951912.135579.jpg but my thumbs are a MESS ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1405951862.766337.jpg hoping for some great results here.

View attachment 70978

Girl I just grabbed this power bond that I get great reviews for. I will let you know how it does. Might help with your lifting. Mine are much better this time around (more careful application and blotted the bonder, excuse my cuticles I have been SO busy) View attachment 70981 but my thumbs are a MESS View attachment 70980 hoping for some great results here.

Good luck! PLEASE let me know if it works!! I tried every suggestion I could find regarding the proper application of the bonder but nothing I tried really helped with the lifting. I even tried skipping the bonder all together and those nails were the longest lasting ones...if you call 24 hrs long lasting.
Before I get any Gelish hard gel I'm gonna try 1 more thing. I'm gonna prep my nails like how I usually do for applying regular gel polish (so no primer/bonder that needs cured, only a phbond), then a couple coats of Gelish foundation, then IBD builder gel on top. Since I don't have any problems with Gelish polish lifting (it stays on long enough for me to have to do 2 or 3 balances....sometimes I even use NailTek intensive therapy under the foundation and the Gelish STILL stays on) I figure it's worth a shot to try IBD over top of it. Also when I was reading reviews of the Gelish hard gel someone had said the trick to keep the Gelish from lifting was to use the gel polish foundation first and builder gel over top.
And no worries about your cuticles. You should see mine eeek!!! :)

View attachment 70978

Girl I just grabbed this power bond that I get great reviews for. I will let you know how it does. Might help with your lifting. Mine are much better this time around (more careful application and blotted the bonder, excuse my cuticles I have been SO busy) View attachment 70981 but my thumbs are a MESS View attachment 70980 hoping for some great results here.

Powerbond is designed to be used with gel polish not hard gel x

View attachment 70978

Alyssa, I think the Gelish foundation was the answer, yaaaay!!!! It's only been 2 full lift-free days so maybe I shouldn't be celebrating just yet.....but I kinda can't help it haha!! Anyway, it was all cured under LED, buuuuut the IBD builder gel definitely needs to go on in several thin layers if it's gonna cure right. The IBD intense seal seems to cure without problem even when put on thick....which is good since if it's not put on thick it cracks all over the place.

Latest posts

Back