Lifting - capping free edge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatieSwift

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I need some Shellac advice please :)
I follow all prep (CND Products only) etc and cap the free edge. When I look at the nails after there doesnt appear to be much colour on the free edge which is strange and then after a few days the shellac lifts completly (in one piece) from the free edge.....? I presume I'm either not putting enough on the free edge or some how it is coming away. I am aware that I dont want to apply it too thick at the tip as it also causes lifting.
Any capping advice or techniques would be much appreciated as its the only reason I'm not getting the full 2 week wear.

Thanks & Happy Valentines Day!

There will always be an element of 'free edge wear' - its because we constantly use our fingers the free edge takes all the brunt and it will wear away, but if there is any imperfection (or really heavy handedness) in the application it will chip, crack, lift, peel, etc.

Make sure when sealing the free edge you do one, even swipe, from side to side, and all the way across, don't skip the very corners, make sure you pull the skin of the side walls away from the nail so you can get good clear access. This should ensure it's a smooth, even application making it less likely to deteriorate quickly.

There will always be an element of 'free edge wear' - its because we constantly use our fingers the free edge takes all the brunt and it will wear away, but if there is any imperfection (or really heavy handedness) in the application it will chip, crack, lift, peel, etc.

Make sure when sealing the free edge you do one, even swipe, from side to side, and all the way across, don't skip the very corners, make sure you pull the skin of the side walls away from the nail so you can get good clear access. This should ensure it's a smooth, even application making it less likely to deteriorate quickly.

Thank you Trinity, that's really helpful. Yes maybe I havent been doing it in one even swipe and its been more patched up. Makes sense,

Latest posts

Back