Lifting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrebecca

Reaction score
6b53470224672678350e264c5b307cd5.jpg
5fd6b74de6eac264477fc43a3cb41b8c.jpg

I am a newly qualified nail tech and I’m having trouble with gel lifting, when I go to start an infil I file away the whitish section of gel nearest the cuticle but as soon as I file it off it’s almost as if it spreads further down the nail causing me to have to remove the entire nail all together? Has this happened to anyone else? Any advice is greatly appreciated x

How are you prepping?

You need to file behind the lifted area not directly on it- this is what causes it to spread further x

How are you prepping?

Lightly buffing the nail plate, cuticle work, dehydrator and then primer when I apply the gel i avoid the cuticle so I’m not sure why this is happening:/

You need to file behind the lifted area not directly on it- this is what causes it to spread further x

Thank you so much I will definately try this :) x

As cheekychick said above, you don't file on the actual lifted bit. You file on the attached bit just before the lifting starts. You thin this area (carefully and by always moving your file to reduce any heat build up) until it thins enough the the lifted part which is unattached anyway, will flake or flick away :) Filing on the lifted part itself will create vibrations and 'shimmy' the attached parts to lift also which leads to you 'chasing the line' until you need to remove the entire nail.
That is a lot of lifting at the cuticle area however. I would be checking the ratio of your cuticle beads, waiting until the acrylic is properly set before filing and then not using anything too coarse to file with to reduce vibrations on the freshly applied acrylic.

Lightly buffing the nail plate, cuticle work, dehydrator and then primer when I apply the gel i avoid the cuticle so I’m not sure why this is happening:/

What grit are you using for buffing? :)

As cheekychick said above, you don't file on the actual lifted bit. You file on the attached bit just before the lifting starts. You thin this area (carefully and by always moving your file to reduce any heat build up) until it thins enough the the lifted part which is unattached anyway, will flake or flick away :) Filing on the lifted part itself will create vibrations and 'shimmy' the attached parts to lift also which leads to you 'chasing the line' until you need to remove the entire nail.
That is a lot of lifting at the cuticle area however. I would be checking the ratio of your cuticle beads, waiting until the acrylic is properly set before filing and then not using anything too coarse to file with to reduce vibrations on the freshly applied acrylic.

Thank you so much I will do this in future :) x

It’s just a block buffer probably 180 grit? To you think it’s too smooth?

If it's one of those white blocks, then it could have the opposite effect and smooth out the surface, and make the product lift. I would recommend going in lightly with a 180 grit file.

If it's one of those white blocks, then it could have the opposite effect and smooth out the surface, and make the product lift. I would recommend going in lightly with a 180 grit file.

Great I will definately do that because it is a white one I’m using atm :) x

I’d also recommend ensuring your cuticle work is extremely thorough then buff with 180 afterwards.
I know any lifting I had initially was due to me not being thorough enough.

Latest posts

Back