Living Social deals

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyatbrookfi

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know what they charge for doing an offer, is it as much as 50% like groupon?

Thinking of doing it to promote Skinbase when I get it.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

They take 50-60% of the deal amount. Honestly not worth it, I've done two in the past and my last one the clients were terrible. Promote the machine another way

Be carful with any of those voucher sites, TICKLES is another, you have to offer a discount PLUS they take a percentage
I looked into living Social and tickles and would end up doing a full head colour with cut, blowdry and making around £7.50 - didn't even cover the cost of my colour tube
Have you tried putting offers on Gumtree, your local for sale sites on Facebook? Or even a card On a notice board in a post office window?
I truly believe voucher sites will leave you out of pocket while working ya butt off and no return bookings :-(

Probably much to the disgust of most people on this site, it depends what you use it for.

If you think you will make money from it, forget it and depending what your marketing ideas are it can work well for a few.

It is all down to careful thinking, to reach 180k people in one hit is a good thing to get your name out there, and quite a few hundred will just look at your website link and to offer a slightly better deal on your website than what the offer is people will book it. Use little product, an hour of someones time on minimum wage is minimal...but again time is money. To leaflet to 180k people would cost an awful lot more and you still have no guarantees that you will gain clients.

Again I see peoples noses turning up at this post..but I'm not ashamed to say I have done it - I got 15 people (yes hardly any- that was the idea and it worked) through a deal for a cut and blow dry, slotted them in when I wanted to, on days where it was a little quiet over the course of twelve weeks, but I got far more clients from my website. We sold retail and retained a few of the 15 clients- some you win some you lose. We had a good response to people booking online just by being curious after seeing the name.

I understand the principles about not devaluing your services but again this is individual to circumstances and what you are trying to achieve, to use it in this way can be effective, it's the same companies that you see on there continually that interests me as they only hope to retain clients which isn't always successful or the clients that some people wish to have.

I hope that gave a different outlook on this for you.

As for skinbase, I think maybe the beauty rooms post below may be a point to consider.

Last edited:
i got turned down from living social as i am not city centre based!!! (i am around 20mins drive from Manchester) which i thought was ridiculous,im thinking about groupon because they have a wider catchment area but i am just going to offer a treatment that costs basically nothing for me just my time and see if it gets me any new clients if it doesn't work hey at least iv gave it a go

i personally wouldn't offer skinbase on deal sites because if you are on the PAYG contract its £12.24 per treatment you do so i think it would be costing you more money than what you would make after the deal sites take their percentage xx

Last edited:
Probably much to the disgust of most people on this site, it depends what you use it for.

If you think you will make money from it, forget it and depending what your marketing ideas are it can work well for a few.

It is all down to careful thinking, to reach 180k people in one hit is a good thing to get your name out there, and quite a few hundred will just look at your website link and to offer a slightly better deal on your website than what the offer is people will book it. Use little product, an hour of someones time on minimum wage is minimal...but again time is money. To leaflet to 180k people would cost an awful lot more and you still have no guarantees that you will gain clients.

Again I see peoples noses turning up at this post..but I'm not ashamed to say I have done it - I got 15 people (yes hardly any- that was the idea and it worked) through a deal for a cut and blow dry, slotted them in when I wanted to, on days where it was a little quiet over the course of twelve weeks, but I got far more clients from my website. We sold retail and retained a few of the 15 clients- some you win some you lose. We had a good response to people booking online just by being curious after seeing the name.

I understand the principles about not devaluing your services but again this is individual to circumstances and what you are trying to achieve, to use it in this way can be effective, it's the same companies that you see on there continually that interests me as they only hope to retain clients which isn't always successful or the clients that some people wish to have.

I hope that gave a different outlook on this for you.

As for skinbase, I think maybe the beauty rooms post below may be a point to consider.

There are some very good points in this post :)

Like i had mentioned i've done two, one for IPL hair removal and the other for a facial. IPL i sold 187 vouchers and the last facial deal was 196 vouchers. I've MADE money off both deals by up-selling different treatments or products. You will never make money from livingsocial's payment system but up-selling when the clients comes in is where your money is.

Customer retention was ok. you get to see the deal seekers and the "real" clients. the ones in the beginning who redeem right away are usually the seekers, in the middle are the real ones mixed into the end ones as well.

I do have to say put a limit on the amount of vouchers you want to sell (go by what you think you can do in 6months). im on the last month of the facial deal and i wish i would have capped it at 100 clients. i work alone and my diary is basically full of livingsocial clients so i really have to make sure i sell some products! :p I'm also not extending into December months as it's a busy time for me and i'm pretty much booked solid already.

HTH! :)

Thanks very much ladies x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back