Location for business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayM

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I am new to the beauty salon industry but have been in the cosmetics industry for 15 years.

I am now in a position where I would like to set up my own salon and ideally take on staff.

The treatments I'm trained in are: -
Gel polish (doing cnd conversation soon)
Luxury mani and pedi
Spray tan
Make-up (been doing this for 15 years in retail with bits of freelance)
Acrylics (don't enjoy doing)
Luxury facial

In the last six months I haven't worked as been made redundant from an area manager role. I was looking to train in: -
HD brows
LVL lashes
Blow dry hair course

With the idea of opening a salon and offering the beauty treatments I have mentioned. Also a "glam" blow dry and make up treatment.

I'd thought about looking for premises in a more affluent area but from talking to people some are suggesting the opposite e.g. Setting up a budget salon on a council estate with the theory that people there are willing to spend their spare cash on looking glam. I'm based in the north east so their is a total mix of income levels.

What are your thoughts on location? Aim for a more affluent area or a low income area? Then obviously tailor the prices to the clienteles income levels.

Sorry for rambling on! I'm loosing sleep over this as I've lost my confidence in myself following the redundancy.

Xxx

Go back to basics and look at your why, why do you want a salon? Who do you vision it being for? What do you want to achieve from it?

Relaxed environment to work in?
Posh atmosphere?
Huge pay check at the end of the month?
Don't care about the pay check?
Job satisfaction?
Status as a business person?

Whatever apeals to you is what you should go after.

For example, my why is to build a better future for my children, I don't want to be rich, just have somewhere they can work if they want to and be able to afford day to day things without worrying. my other why is, I worked in a high end salon which was utterly snobby, I wanted to create the complete opposite, whilst still being professional, I want everyone from every walk of life to feel comfortable in my salon. I have a small back of a village salon which caters perfectly to the villagers, it cost peanuts to set up and isn't the most beautiful place you've ever seen. But my customers love it & I love it, if I'd have had a huge opening budget & a posh salon it wouldn't be the business it is & it wouldn't mean to me what this business does.

You've really got to do what your heart tells you to :)

Latest posts

Back