Location question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayM

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I am new to the beauty salon industry but have been in the cosmetics industry for 15 years.

I am now in a position where I would like to set up my own salon and ideally take on staff.

The treatments I'm trained in are: -
Gel polish (doing cnd conversation soon)
Luxury mani and pedi
Spray tan
Make-up (been doing this for 15 years in retail with bits of freelance)
Acrylics (don't enjoy doing)
Luxury facial

In the last six months I haven't worked as been made redundant from an area manager role. I was looking to train in: -
HD brows
LVL lashes
Blow dry hair course

With the idea of opening a salon and offering the beauty treatments I have mentioned. Also a "glam" blow dry and make up treatment.

I'd thought about looking for premises in a more affluent area but from talking to people some are suggesting the opposite e.g. Setting up a budget salon on a council estate with the theory that people there are willing to spend their spare cash on looking glam. I'm based in the north east so their is a total mix of income levels.

What are your thoughts on location? Aim for a more affluent area or a low income area? Then obviously tailor the prices to the clienteles income levels.

Sorry for rambling on! I'm loosing sleep over this as I've lost my confidence in myself following the redundancy.

Xxx

Hi there!

I would say that there are pros and cons to both, personally i would go for a lower income area, maybe build up your brand and if business booms you could always open another shop in another area! Rent will be much cheaper etc, waxing would also be a good avenue due to repeat revenue etc.

I suppose the big question is who would you like to cater for? There may be a few comments about the council areas but then again you can get some nasty upper class people too!

If it were me, I would pick a lower and a higher income area that I would 100% consider, then visit local salons to that area, look at prices, the clientele etc, you want to offer something that the others don't have and the glam blow dry sounds brilliant!! I would even pop to the restaurants or pubs to get a feel of the places, trust your instincts you will know which is right for you.

See the redundancy as a sign that you were destined for something bigger and better, 1 day you will look back and understand why it happened and be able to feel grateful for it

Deep breathe - manager thinking cap on and lots of homework time :)

xxx

Latest posts

Back