Male Grooming | Men Self-Conscious About Body Hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
A new study by Mintel suggests that men are feeling increasing pressure to remove body hair. Six in ten men say that they now regularly remove body hair.

As the trend for hair free bodies becomes more and more popular, men are increasingly taking to shaving, plucking and even the 'boyzillian' (no explanation needed).

The study suggests that sportsmen and athletes are the ones that have triggered the trend after removing hair to improve performance. Mintel suggests that, "Whilst once it was the preserve of elite athletes, it seems that more men are plucking up the courage to achieve a hair-free body.

"Half of all Brits admit there is more pressure nowadays for men to remove or groom body hair. Indeed, for today’s modern man, hair removal has extended past a simple shave of the face."

Gone are the days when a hair chest was considered a sign of masculinity and virality. Now, the groomed, 'metrosexual' look is what's important and Charlotte Libby, senior beauty analyst at Mintel, said, "It is becoming increasingly commonplace for men, particularly the under-30s, to remove hair from their body as behaviours once described as metrosexual are becoming increasingly mainstream.

"Major sporting events such as the 2014 Commonwealth Games and the media attention given to the swimming team and their hair-free bodies in particular, drew focus to male body hair removal."

She said, "It is younger men in particular who are feeling the pressure to achieve a hair free body, with some six in ten 16-24-year-old men agreeing they feel pressure to remove or groom body hair, compared to 22 per cent of over-65s."

Even the ever-popular beard trend isn't safe from the razor, Libby explains. "And while 42 per cent of Brits believe it is fashionable for men to have beards, almost the same number say they feel pressure from others to keep their facial hair neat and tidy."

So, while recent studies have suggested that the shaving industry may be under pressure from men following the beard trend, it looks like the need to remove all other hair may keep them afloat for a little while yet.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• male waxing.jpg
    male waxing.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 279
I think a lot more men have their eyebrows shaped now aswell. I think TOWIE has cause a big rise in the hair and beuaty industry, Slick Quiffs, Tans, Even Botox!

I've been having full body waxing treatments since 1996 :p

Never want my boyfriend to do anyyyy of this... I believe a man should be a man. I heart beards!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Never want my boyfriend to do anyyyy of this... I believe a man should be a man. I heart beards!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

A man should be a man and have a beard?! Then surely you should be sat at home cleaning and cooking and having tea ready for when said-bearded man comes home from work...since we're going by stereotypes from the 60's?! ☺

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is an interesting read, however women have been pressurised to remove body hair for much longer! It's about time they had some pressure put on them ;)

I'm not keen on hairy backs etc, some women love it. Should we all walk around with hairy legs and underarms? After all were meant to be equal, right!

He he

When I started my beauty level 2 last year, my husband offered me his back to practice my wax techniques, now he has regular back, nose and ear waxes and also has his eyebrows tinted, trimmed and shaped, he still has a hairy chest tho 😄

Sent from sugarfarie hq

I personally find the metrosexual look disturbing! Groomed and clippered is one thing, but this completely hair-free and over-preened perma-tan look is quite grim looking, whether on men or women.

Latest posts

Back