Mens hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosiedrew01

Reaction score
Hi I currently offer beauty and also men's waxing, and I would like to offer men's hair trimming maybe using clippers. I do not want to do a hair dressing course. Is there a course where I can learn the art of cutting men's hair?? By the way I live in Bristol.

If you are looking for a complete mens barbering course, there are many availiable....although Im not sure thats what you mean..... or you want to learn 'trimming' which there is no such course that will qualify you properly in the eyes of any association...? But definately search for barbering if your looking to do men's hair care only.

Trimming men's hair is hairdressing. What makes you think that it isn't?

Men's barbering isn't as straight foward as trimming their hair. Men want more complex and fashionable cuts and colours now, not jus short back and sides and shoe shines.
I think you would be better having atleast some basic hairdressing behind you before starting a barbering course.

I did a barbering course a while ago and i have to say it was easy to pick up but hard if you are a beginner. Ive been doing hd for a while now, ive been cutting a couple of male family members for about 10years before i qualifed and i had found it pretty ok to grasp, but i do have to warn you, guys have a tendency of being more precise and want a nice clean fadeout/shape up. I find womans hair much more of a breeze, but please do not under estimate barbering, as trimming, puttin patterns in hair, using a blade or cutting it is something i would seriously recommend a proper course for. hths xoxo

Wahl academy do training courses, I'm a hairdresser who wanted more training in Barbering and went in a day course in Kent but they do beginners courses I think??? Google it
Good luck :)

Thank you Lauren (exactly my point.) Using the word 'trimming' implies you want to learn how to take the ends off hair. Babering is very complex, and if your side of the world is the same as this side, I simply meant there are no recognized credentials that will qualify you to 'trim'. Its an all or nothing qualification. If you take full training and then choose to only offer trims, that is your perrogative:)

Hi Rosie

I am not sure if there any course that offer this in the uk.i am in ireland.
If you want to do mens hair i would really suggest doing a barbering course.
I am just about to sit my level 3 hairdressing exams and work in a really good salon and i still struggle doing mens hair so will be doing a barbering course in the new year,many men these days do not just go for a trim(i am only after sitting down after doing a faux hawk for my boyfriend and he is ALOT fussier than any of my female clients lol) Good luck x

I have to jump in here ...

Men's hairdressing is just as exacting as ladies hairdressing. In my opinion a ladies hairdresser can become a more than competant men's hairdresser, but the opposite doesn't work. However, gent's hairdressing in it's own right is a quite exacting skill. You need to be familiar with using clippers and scissors on gent's hair, eyebrow timming, ear trimming/waxing, beard trimming, nasal trimming, etc.

If you're going to offer a gent's service you will need to offer a comprehensive one. We started off doing gent's trims and found our clients needs went as far as full on wet shaving, hot towels, Indian head massage, etc.

Think very hard before yoiu get into this unless you can provide a full service. Can you do it?

Further to my my last post ...

Rosie, I'm not trying to offend you here but I just went back and read your original post ...
Honey, I'm not taking a pot shot of you but why do you think that you can do a quick course to offer 'men's trimming'? Gent's hairdressing is a skill that's learned over many years. Yes, of course, many ladies' hairdressers do men's hair but that's because they have years of training and experience doing women's hair and can adapt. Any barber will tell you that the cutting/styling/treating/ etc/etc of women's hair is very different from that of men's hair.
Please don't be offeneded when I tell you that men's hairdressing isn't just a quick 'tidy up around the edges' ... it's a real skill that is learned over time and honed, as a craft, over a number of years.

It's a teriffic craft. But please give it the respect that it should have ...

And now, I have jumped off my soap box ...

You will find 2 barbering courses here: Shaving courses: Courses to learn how to Wet shave on our shaving courses.
I have been a barber for 25 years and do agree that barbering is an art, and it is something that you never stop learning, its constant and on going learning curve. You do however have to start somewhere, so you can learn to do a "quick trim" on courses if you have a bit of experience already, but be aware of your limitations! Start with a barbering course to refresh, practice on friends and family and venture out to paying customers from there ...good luck!!

:cry:Ahh, I have not been clear at all.

I am a fully qualified beautician. Some of my chaps who come in for waxing or massage have their hair clippered by their partners.

I would like to offer to clipper their hair for £5. A few have agreed.

I do not want offer this service without any training.

Is there a short course that I can take.

I do not wish to do barbering. thanks

Also interested in offering a clippering service to male clients, I do male waxing and will be starting up a little studio in the spring. I have searched all over the net and not yet found anyone that actually teaches this, I think it's something you would have to pick up as you go along. Would be interested in any advice...:)

Latest posts

Back