Missed opportunity

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MummyCat

Reaction score
Morning Geeks,

Well, I just wanted to share with you something thats been playing on my mind for the last week and a half, and I really need your opinions and want to know what you would have done in my position.

I'll start from the beginning.

So the Friday before last, I was at work when I received a phone call from a certain Grammy Award winning artist's PA saying that this high profile celeb was in London and desperately needed her nails doing...and she needed her gel nails removed and new sculpted nails reapplied, she needed me to be there at 6:30pm and was going to perform that night at 7:30pm.

This made me really nervous/anxious/excited so I said to the PA, let me see what I can do and I'll contact her back. I knew that I would never in a million years be able to do all that within the time frame as I don't use a, e-file etc, so I contacted her back giving 2 options.
1) doing her infills so they look presentable for the evening.
2) removing her current gel nails and applying Shellac and nail art.

During the emails back and forth with the PA, I phoned my BF and told him what had happened and he was so annoyed with me for not just saying YES, I can do it and turning up with my kit, but all I kept thinking is that I didn't want to let the client down as I knew that I really couldn't have done what she wanted in the time available. He was saying that I should never ever say no or doubt myself in a situation like that as I could've probably done it.

However they went with someone else and a few days later I found the pictures of her nails online and well it just looked like she had one colour all with a diamante on each nail.

I'm really beating myself up over this missed opportunity and keep thinking how great this experience would've been for me as I'm a good nail tech, just sometimes I allow my nerves to get the better of me.

What would you have done in this situation?

Morning Geeks,

Well, I just wanted to share with you something thats been playing on my mind for the last week and a half, and I really need your opinions and want to know what you would have done in my position.

I'll start from the beginning.

So the Friday before last, I was at work when I received a phone call from a certain Grammy Award winning artist's PA saying that this high profile celeb was in London and desperately needed her nails doing...and she needed her gel nails removed and new sculpted nails reapplied, she needed me to be there at 6:30pm and was going to perform that night at 7:30pm.

This made me really nervous/anxious/excited so I said to the PA, let me see what I can do and I'll contact her back. I knew that I would never in a million years be able to do all that within the time frame as I don't use a, e-file etc, so I contacted her back giving 2 options.
1) doing her infills so they look presentable for the evening.
2) removing her current gel nails and applying Shellac and nail art.

During the emails back and forth with the PA, I phoned my BF and told him what had happened and he was so annoyed with me for not just saying YES, I can do it and turning up with my kit, but all I kept thinking is that I didn't want to let the client down as I knew that I really couldn't have done what she wanted in the time available. He was saying that I should never ever say no or doubt myself in a situation like that as I could've probably done it.

However they went with someone else and a few days later I found the pictures of her nails online and well it just looked like she had one colour all with a diamante on each nail.

I'm really beating myself up over this missed opportunity and keep thinking how great this experience would've been for me as I'm a good nail tech, just sometimes I allow my nerves to get the better of me.

What would you have done in this situation?

I would probably of done what you did- but I'm not as experienced as you (If I was confident that I could do it within the time frame then I would of unwillingly pushed myself out of my comfort zone and done it) Don't beat yourself up about it though a lot of people would of done the same, I live in London and it's scares me the thought that I might get one of those calls one day!

Everything happens for a reason maybe it was a lesson to tell you to push yourself further and harder and step outside your comfort zone, if your getting calls like this then you must be really good at what you do and I'm sure more calls will come and next time you will take the job!

It happened (or didn't happen) for a reason. Hold tight :)

I'm afraid you should have gone with it. When I worked on film sets, you never know what's waiting for you at the other end... they change thier minds all the time. Once I got to a famous client in the same situation as you, and although they expected me to soak off and reapply acrylic tips in 20 mins !!! You just say ok. Because the 20 mins becomes 2 hours, and they really don't care, so long as the nails look good in the end.

I'm afraid you should have gone with it. When I worked on film sets, you never know what's waiting for you at the other end... they change thier minds all the time. Once I got to a famous client in the same situation as you, and although they expected me to soak off and reapply acrylic tips in 20 mins !!! You just say ok. Because the 20 mins becomes 2 hours, and they really don't care, so long as the nails look good in the end.

This is exactly what my other half kept saying to me, that once I'm there in front of them, they won't really care that it would've taken longer, just that they would've loved the end results.

I'm seriously kicking myself, and next I'll be more confident. I was just so worried about stepping into the 'unknown'. Had she walked into the salon, I would've done her nails no doubt, but because I was going there I just didn't know what to expect.

Next time eh...next time :confused:

Well, look on the bright side, you saved yourself a lot of stress, finding the place and being faced with scary client, but it would have been a massive achievement if you had done it. Next time just say YES , but then I need to learn to say no sometimes :lol:

You'll be prepared for the next time Mummycat!

Latest posts

Back