Mobile hair pricing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshie_91

Reaction score
Hello all.
I'm just starting out mobile hairdressing (I'm level 1 qualified and will finish level 2 in May - I have completed cutting and colouring etc). I have a client who wants full head foils (2 colours going through) and a cut and blow dry & she has long thick hair. How much would you all charge for this service? I have no idea where to start.
Thanks in advance xx

You need to work out how much your tubes of tint will cost and how much of them you will use. The same with your peroxide and foils, to make sure you cover the cost of them. Then work out how much profit you want on top of that. You will need to charge more for long, thick hair as you will need to use more product. Look at what salons charge in your are as well x

I did what baby chops said by looking at tubes of colour and product and then I looked at hairdressers prices of a few salons and tried to make my prices as competitive as possible without losing any money :)

Hello all.
I'm just starting out mobile hairdressing (I'm level 1 qualified and will finish level 2 in May - I have completed cutting and colouring etc). I have a client who wants full head foils (2 colours going through) and a cut and blow dry & she has long thick hair. How much would you all charge for this service? I have no idea where to start.
Thanks in advance xx

As you aren't fully qualified bear this in mind with your pricing too.

Will you be covered by insurance if you're not yet qualified? Also, you'll need to register with HMRC as soon as you start charging clients.

Not being fully qualified, I would not reccomed going out on your own just yet.

Thank you all.

Yes I've managed to get insurance as a student/trainee stylist (I was surprised at this as well) and I have told hmrc also.

Yes I know it might be a little scary to some to step out on my own but I've done this girls hair before in college and I'm pretty competent at doing foils it seems to be just the hair up part of hairdressing I seem to fail badly at!!
Thank you for all your responses though xx

Also bear in mind as well as your products they're also paying for your time and knowledge! :D how long is the service going to take for the client? If it's going to take 5 hours then charge more - if she's got the finest hair in the world and you'll be done in an hour and a half, charge less! Xx

It would be difficult to say from here because without looking client and product can't say anything.

I would say it would definitely take a few hours seen as she has so much hair! I told her it would be around £40 which I thought was cheap considering a lot of salons around me charge upwards of £70! She's decided to ignore me now anyway, ah well!xx

I would say it would definitely take a few hours seen as she has so much hair! I told her it would be around £40 which I thought was cheap considering a lot of salons around me charge upwards of £70! She's decided to ignore me now anyway, ah well!xx

How rude this annoys the hell out of me! They ask for a price, you give them a reasonable quote then they ignore you. I'm trying to get a model for hair extensions before I go back to Racoon at the end of the month bearing in mind I'm only charging for the hair and consumables i.e. Bond & postage plus using the big discount off my first order and including a free gift pack plus free rotation appointment AND I'm still told its too expensive x

I would look at the prices for mobile stylists in your area and use the prices as a guide , you don't have to undercut them just go for a competitive price I think sometime too cheap puts people off maybe do special offers that's maybe in line with cheapest competitor but only for limited time ! I started off with a low price for foiling but soon got fed up with the low return for the work I do so I just slowly increased price over time , as for time wasting clients you get a lot asking for prices and stuff but you kinda can tell after a while when there going to be a time waister they just come with the job I guess :/ good luck with it all x
Michelle x

Thank you for the information

It annoys me too! I try and do it relatively cheap only leaving a small amount for profit as I'm not fully qualified just yet, but I think some people just want something for nothing. I've done the girls hair before in college and we charge a standard £10 for all colours (bit silly if u ask me!!) so I think she was hoping for that price again! X

I charge a standard price for a cut and finish but the colouring is where I make my money - I work out how much it's going to cost me, then add on anything up to £50 depending on my application techniques and predicted time taken! Then the price of a cut and finish on top of that ;) I find being priced high prevents me from attracting too many clients, which would eat away at all my remaining free time outside of work! Lol ;) if people like your hairdressing and they've got the money to spend, they'll spend it x

I'm mobile and priced myself just £1 under the price of my old salon when I started. Too cheap makes ppl think you don't know what your doing. Be confident and always do a home visit consultation and skin test when colouring. You will find ppl rarely tell the truth about the history of their hair ie- I have no colour on it( means I coloured it 6months ago and it's faded, the colour is still there!!)
Always take your own towels, tools and products looks and feels more like a salon experience. Good luck ;) x

I'm mobile and priced myself just £1 under the price of my old salon when I started. Too cheap makes ppl think you don't know what your doing. Be confident and always do a home visit consultation and skin test when colouring. You will find ppl rarely tell the truth about the history of their hair ie- I have no colour on it( means I coloured it 6months ago and it's faded, the colour is still there!!)
Always take your own towels, tools and products looks and feels more like a salon experience. Good luck ;) x

Great advise 👍 x

Latest posts

Back