Mobile hairdresser & pregnancy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NadiaH23

Reaction score
Hi guys , I'm a newbie here but didn't know where else I could talk about something like this.
I've been working for myself as a mobile hairdresser for 5 years now, I am now pregnant with my first child & due in the summer. I also do make up & bridal hair on the weekends.
What I'm really struggling with is the mobile hairdressing pregnancy!
I've had to re arrange a lot of clients as I've not felt the best the past few months, everyone's been really
Understanding & im thinking of cutting my hours right down to maybe one or two cut and Colours a day.
What is really making me anxious and stressed is what to do about the whole mobile hair thing when coming back to work, part of me feels the weddings on the weekends would be enough and then be a stay at home mum the rest of the time.. Then I think how hard I've worked to gain all my clientele and having to let them go, I don't know if that's really stupid. My mum was meant to be helping me a couple of days a week so I could come back part time to do some hair, she's now decided she doesn't want tied to this.

What did everyone else do? Did anyone decide to give up hair and do something else?

Would be nice to hear everyone else's experiences , thanks :) x

i went mobile 6 years ago and love it but got far too busy in the beginning so i basically just changed my hours and those who could no longer fit in with me went elsewhere. i actually found some of them replacement hairdressers lol. i now do mobile tue-fri 9-3 then at my house an occasional colour in the evening and a maybe an odd saturday morn blowdry if someone is going out. i only do a max of 2 colours a day, one at 9 and one at 12. i wouldnt want to work for anyone else again as i love the flexibility. i no longer miss school plays, nativity, xmas fayre, sports day or anything really! i just couldnt acheive that with an employer. my mum helped me with childcare as hairdressing and babies definitely dont mix! what im trying to say is, you can choose your hours to suit you and people will either fall in with you or go elsewhere. just be strict with what you decide and stick to your guns...theres always that one who wants a colour correction at 8pm lol. good luck!

Currently having the same dilemma although I’m fortunate enough to have a salon in my garden. My wage is a necessity and my busiest times are currently evenings and Saturdays. As a hairdresser I fully expected to have to work Saturdays, but when I worked in a salon there was only one late evening a week. Now I could work every single evening. Due to feeling so tired (now 17 weeks) I’ve had to cut my late evenings down and now I try to limit myself til 7pm 2/3 times a week. Once baby is here I don’t want to miss out on bedtime and bath time all every evening... I would like to do 3 days a week two late nights till 7pm then one Saturday a month off. I’m also scared of losing everyone I’ve worked so hard for. Even mat leave I don’t know what to do with my clients whilst I’m off.... it’s so scary.... xxxx

I give up hair when I got pregnant with my 1st. I lost all my clients but I didnt care as I just wanted to stay at home with my baby. When he was 4 and his little brother was 2, I decided to go back to work. I got a job in Asda and realised how boring it was compared to hair! Over the next few years I did some refresher courses while still in Asda and started doing friends and familys hair around it. Last year I left Asda and advertised to do mobile hair. Ive picked up a few regulars and have just started renting a chair. Im not dead busy but getting there. Im now pregnant again! (Complete accident) I dont want to go back and start again so im trying to work right up until my due date. Im 34 weeks and nacked! I want to keep renting my room as I love the people O work with but i'll be loosing lots of money still paying rent while im not working. I dont know what to do either as my partner works away so i'd have to put baby in a nursery. The easy and cheaper option would to just be a stay at home parent again but that would be like putting my life back 6 years and all the hard work for nothing

I give up hair when I got pregnant with my 1st. I lost all my clients but I didnt care as I just wanted to stay at home with my baby. When he was 4 and his little brother was 2, I decided to go back to work. I got a job in Asda and realised how boring it was compared to hair! Over the next few years I did some refresher courses while still in Asda and started doing friends and familys hair around it. Last year I left Asda and advertised to do mobile hair. Ive picked up a few regulars and have just started renting a chair. Im not dead busy but getting there. Im now pregnant again! (Complete accident) I dont want to go back and start again so im trying to work right up until my due date. Im 34 weeks and nacked! I want to keep renting my room as I love the people O work with but i'll be loosing lots of money still paying rent while im not working. I dont know what to do either as my partner works away so i'd have to put baby in a nursery. The easy and cheaper option would to just be a stay at home parent again but that would be like putting my life back 6 years and all the hard work for nothing

Oh god! I’m surprised you’ll have energy left to work after having 3 to run around after! Lol [emoji23]. Yes nursery and childcare is so expensive it’s hardly worth it... but if it helps you feel like you then it’s definitely worth it. I’m so scared of losing clients but my wage is a necessity towards the bills [emoji30]. I’m hoping I’ll gain clients to suit my new lifestyle... xx

Latest posts

Back