Mobile tanning or home based?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becca2101

Reaction score
Hey!

Which is best in your opinion??

Offering clients mobile tanning or being home based so the client comes to you??

Xx

I do mobile and people seem really happy with that. I think it's all down to the individual though - some prefer a salon, others prefer at home.

Moroccan Tan agrees with Pollypocket - it really does depend. While there are those customers that would prefer to be sprayed in the comfort of their own home there are also others that would prefer to visit a salon as opposed to having the technician set up everything within their home. Another thing you may need to consider is the rent/travel expenses that will factor into this depending on your choice!

MT x

Last edited:
Thanks ladies... In that case would you offer both maybe?? Come to mine or i come to yours i struggle with wednesday evenings for example because of childcare and ive missed the chance of appointments.. Would you offer maybe wednesdays from mine?? ... Xx

I also noticed on another thread some people are bothered about strangers coming into their home.... Would this be a worry to you at all?? Xxx

I don't offer appointments at my house - mainly because its never tidy enough lol and I don't have anywhere to set it up to give that 'professional look'. I just offer mobile treatments and it's really popular. I think tan is good to market at home as they can just pop on a dressing gown afterwards and literally only takes 30 mins (from arriving and leaving).

My clients (friends, family & local dance school) come to my home (I set up in the kitchen).
Its rare I will go out to anyone unless it is worth my time such as for a tanning party or if someone is really struggling to get out of the house.
I work 9-5 in an office so this is my part time hobby out of work hours and suits me great.
All my clients are known to me in some way or another (friend of friend / recommendation) so they know it is just me in my kitchen and yes my daughter will pester you to read her a book as you walk in the door ;)
I have never felt uncomfortable letting a new customer come to my home and have never felt my clients feel uneasy.

Each to their own but my overheads are simply the solution & disposables costs.
I'm done in minuits and back to reading books :rolleyes:

I'm just getting started tanning at home, I initially thought I would do mobile then I read a post by a mobile tanner about a nightmare visit to a new client's house (a poorly lit small room, a big friendly dog who kept jumping up, and 3 wee boys under 5 who kept asking questions and trying to climb in the tent)! Just reading that gave me palpitations so I decided that I would do it from home and it's really picking up, even though there are a few options in my area for both mobile and other home salons. It's what works best for you, the room I do tans in is at the front of my house so clients are in the front door, in the room then out again. I haven't had to advertise as yet so each client has been a friend or a friend of a friend. Good luck, whatever you decide :) x

I'm just getting started tanning at home, I initially thought I would do mobile then I read a post by a mobile tanner about a nightmare visit to a new client's house (a poorly lit small room, a big friendly dog who kept jumping up, and 3 wee boys under 5 who kept asking questions and trying to climb in the tent)! Just reading that gave me palpitations so I decided that I would do it from home and it's really picking up, even though there are a few options in my area for both mobile and other home salons. It's what works best for you, the room I do tans in is at the front of my house so clients are in the front door, in the room then out again. I haven't had to advertise as yet so each client has been a friend or a friend of a friend. Good luck, whatever you decide :) x
I'm desperate to find what type of equipment to use for this type of small business tanning. Hoping to set up my own business at home and I've been delayed just from purchasing equipment..What kind of gun and solution do you use?

I did my course with Nouvatan so I bought the kit directly from them, it was a VAT free weekend so I made a huge saving, I bought the Click N Tan HVLP and I only use Nouvatan solution. Once I got started I realised that the tent was going to take up too much room so I've invested in a Twister Tower extraction unit which I've put in the corner, it looks so professional and it has really helped with the overspray in the room, hope that helps?

I think it depends on the person, I bought a tanning kit with all intentions of going mobile but I've used it about 6 times since I got it, 2 were actual clients (the rest friends and family) and those clients asked to come to my house instead. I even got desperate and put on €10 offers for 'Tan Thursday' still nothing! Theres just no demand for it in my area, people prefer to go to salons so I've just stuck to nails.

Maybe try what you said and offer both! Give the client the option to come to them or they come to you!

Thanks ladies... In that case would you offer both maybe?? Come to mine or i come to yours i struggle with wednesday evenings for example because of childcare and ive missed the chance of appointments.. Would you offer maybe wednesdays from mine?? ... Xx
Hi!! I offer both. I have a studio in my home separate from my house and I am also mobile! It is a wonderful combination and more options for my clients. I also offer spray tan parties in my studio! So much fun.

Latest posts

Back