Monofibre hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber-

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am considering getting Monofibre (Dome brand) hair extensions done- the ones pioneered by Antenna salon in London.
Has anyone got any experience of them- What are they like to wear and care for? Do they have any of that synthetic hair shininess or do they look completely natural?

I have looked at different websites of salons that do them but they all have the exact same description, pictures and information on them.
Cheryl Cole apparently was wearing them most of last year and her hair always looked great. I never knew her extensions were synthetic until Antenna's stylist said so.

There is also synthetic Thermofibre hair you can get that can be styled with 200'C heat but it is not as lightweight as Monofibre and I'd have to find an extensionist to put it in for me. If anyone could recommend a good brand of Thermofibre hair that would be great too.

I trained with Antenna in the 80's!!! They are the leaders in monofibre ext. I used fibre for many years before switching to European hair.
Monofibre does have it's strong points, but also it's limitations. I am friendly with Cheryl's extentionist, and most of the time she has Russian hair.
Done well, fibre is undetectable and versatile. Done badly it looks like dolly hair.

I am friendly with Cheryl's extentionist, and most of the time she has Russian hair.
Done well, fibre is undetectable and versatile. Done badly it looks like dolly hair.

Yeah like I am a huge fan of hers and I think she wears human hair. Apparently she had Monofibre put in twice last year but she must have had it taken out very quickly because I cannot find any photos of her with synthetic-looking hair.

Truthfully, she has the top quality Russian hair, which is megabucks. I use the same hair supplier. She usually has her ext done at the urban retreat. I can generally spot monofibre and I have never spotted it on her. Maybe it's not PC to admit in the media to using human hair?

Truthfully, she has the top quality Russian hair, which is megabucks. I use the same hair supplier. She usually has her ext done at the urban retreat. I can generally spot monofibre and I have never spotted it on her. Maybe it's not PC to admit in the media to using human hair?

I'm not sure but I'm glad I know now that she doesn't use Monofibre.
I was considering getting it done based on her hair but I just could not believe that her hair isn't human. Plus styling Monofibre seems to be much trickier since they're not heat resistant. There's so little information about them- every salon that does them has the exact same information on them, and the exact same photos. I'm wondering if it's part of their contract with Dome to only advertise using the Dome wording and pictures.

On a side note, the amount of stick Cheryl gets for wearing extensions is unreal.
Every model in every shampoo and hair colour ad wears extensions, if not wigs.

I think thats why she doesnt admit to human hair!! She has the top quality human hair on the market. It costs her thousands (if she pays!). Monofibre ext are not gonna look like that no matter how skilled the application.

Oh also which supplier do you use?
I might buy some hair and get an extensionist to put it on for me.

PM me for details.

Hi!

I found this thread in my "hair extensions" subscription in Google Reader and thought I'd poke in. :)

I find Monofibre to be great to work with and if done properly can look very natural. I trained with them in the 80s and have been doing synthetic extensions every since. I did switch over to Prostyles/Prohair quite a few years ago just for convenience sake, also they are a bit less expensive.
The Monofibre is heavier than the Prostyles hair but not enough to really make a difference. I work with the "natural" texture the most which has a slight body wave.

I have tons of pictures of synthetic hair on my website if you want to take a look for reference.
Some are fake looking, some aren't. When the hair is just installed it tends to look a bit poofy but after a wash it settles down. I do way more synthetic hair than human hair and usually wear it myself. It can look very natural if it's put in small and there is enough hair throughout the head. I find through looking at pictures of extensions that most stylists seem to stop at the parietal ridge which doesn't always work out well. See what happened to that Kate girl? :)

Latest posts

Back