Motivation for Saturday job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starbucks88

Reaction score
Hi everyone, Ive only been at my saturday job in a beauty salon for a month from just starting out as a junior assistant, i enjoyed it for the first few weeks but im starting to not look forward to going and finding it boring and feel abit unmotivated and confused as iv wanted to be where i am today for such a long time :rolleyes: i only do cleaning tasks in the salon and not much else and its been quiet for the last couple of saturdays ive been in, just sort of waiting for time to pass by and cleaning etc. im also starting my beauty course in a week which i am looking forward to alot, just feel confused why i feel unmotivated, i really want a career in a spa doing holistic treatments and could see myself enjoying it, hoping anyone has some words of wisdom or motivators for me ha just feel confused, hope im not in the wrong career x

This is something that most go through when they take the first step in to the salon environment. There will always be quiet times, and there will always be quieter months.

I'm sure your boss isn't enjoying the quiet times either, but the measure of good staff is how they respond to the ebb and flow of work.

There probably isn't a junior or apprentice that does get bored with cleaning. My first job required a lot of cleaning, especially floors and at first I resented to doing it and like you became bored. I soon realised that if I took a positive outlook to doing the jobs I didn't like, I would enjoy it more and be happier.

There is always something that wants doing in the salon and the biggest contribution that you can make is to see what needs doing and then doing. I ask my staff to see the salon through the eyes of the customer, and do what needs doing.

This is the world of work and you won't be able to spend all day and everyday toing the things you enjoy most. Take a positive attitude to the boring things and you will stand head and shoulder above others and you boss will notice and appreciate it.

I agree with Myarka. As you have not started your training there is a limited amount you can do other than clean & man the reception. In my first job I was a apprentice, so training & working. My boss had a favourite saying 'our job is to clean people & equiptment' & I soon understood that. I cleaned the salon, toilets, floors etc, cut wax strips, set up rooms for therapists, made drinks, fetched lunches, answered the telephone & took bookings, the list went on. But it's not forever & you soon become more involved as your training progesses. I feel that I had an excellent start to my career - if you start at the bottom then the only way is up. Always be cheerful when in the salon (even if you don't feel it), my first boss also said we always had to look busy, so find jobs..
Once your training starts & if there is a quiet time it may be good to ask your boss if you can practice on her & she can help you by adding her experience & guidance.

Good luck in your training, it is a rewarding career. x :D

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think juniors and apprentices often forget that the salon owner is making an investment in them. The great thing about apprenticeships is that you're paid while training. Look at your friends who go away to uni, running up their huge students debts and having to take part time jobs.

This is something that most go through when they take the first step in to the salon environment. There will always be quiet times, and there will always be quieter months.

I'm sure your boss isn't enjoying the quiet times either, but the measure of good staff is how they respond to the ebb and flow of work.

There probably isn't a junior or apprentice that does get bored with cleaning. My first job required a lot of cleaning, especially floors and at first I resented to doing it and like you became bored. I soon realised that if I took a positive outlook to doing the jobs I didn't like, I would enjoy it more and be happier.

There is always something that wants doing in the salon and the biggest contribution that you can make is to see what needs doing and then doing. I ask my staff to see the salon through the eyes of the customer, and do what needs doing.

This is the world of work and you won't be able to spend all day and everyday toing the things you enjoy most. Take a positive attitude to the boring things and you will stand head and shoulder above others and you boss will notice and appreciate it.

Thankyou, youv given me the kick up the backside i needed :) i will try seeing it through the eye of what clients will see and go from there, and will try to turn it into a positive and just get on with it xx

I agree with Myarka. As you have not started your training there is a limited amount you can do other than clean & man the reception. In my first job I was a apprentice, so training & working. My boss had a favourite saying 'our job is to clean people & equiptment' & I soon understood that. I cleaned the salon, toilets, floors etc, cut wax strips, set up rooms for therapists, made drinks, fetched lunches, answered the telephone & took bookings, the list went on. But it's not forever & you soon become more involved as your training progesses. I feel that I had an excellent start to my career - if you start at the bottom then the only way is up. Always be cheerful when in the salon (even if you don't feel it), my first boss also said we always had to look busy, so find jobs..
Once your training starts & if there is a quiet time it may be good to ask your boss if you can practice on her & she can help you by adding her experience & guidance.

Good luck in your training, it is a rewarding career.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Yeah i feel much more motivated, i guess everyone does start out at the bottom cleaning and observing, and hopefully il be more involved when i get to college i just need to stick it out x

I think juniors and apprentices often forget that the salon owner is making an investment in them. The great thing about apprenticeships is that you're paid while training. Look at your friends who go away to uni, running up their huge students debts and having to take part time jobs.

Im not on an apprenticeship, only a saturday girl whilst studying at college but yea i know what your saying x

Without meaning to sound harsh - what where you expecting to be doing? What part of the job isn't living up to your expectations? Your not qualified or even training as of yet so it's no surprise all your doing really is cleaning.

This will get better in time but you just have to suck it up and get on with it until then. Even after you are qualified etc. you'll still have to clean and do these jobs so it's best to get used to it now as it is all part and parcel of the bigger picture. It being boring doesn't mean you're in the wrong industry though.

I think you should be using the time when it's quiet to look into things more deeply too. How do they run the reception? What products do they retail? Why did they pick that range - what benefits do the products have? What treatments do they offer? How long do they take? What do they use? What extra training do the staff do? Getting answers to all these questions will help you gain knowledge for your own future and also help you in your course when you are learning about products, reception etc.

hI

I totally get the feeling bored and like a spare part . Just think positive and remember this is temporary whilst you are training. You will also pick up alot from seeing it done at the salon which will put you in an advantageous position whilst in college because most of the girls will be a complete beginner. Take this this as as opportunity to gain skills and knowledge . Just because you are not performing the manicure " for example" watch and listen because you can visually pick up tips and ideas and also gain product knowledge . Hope this helps !!! You are a very keen little lady and your employer will also notice this and that is a good things :)

Latest posts

Back