Moving house

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbie101

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can help or point me in the right direction...
So we're looking at moving house we have had the house valued by the estate agents but the fees to selling our house now and purchasing a new one comes to around £9000 (that includes solicitors, surveyors etc) if we were to sell the house through an online company such as purple bricks we will be saving around £1000 maybe more but if we do go that way around it how do we sort the solicitors etc out would it work out better to just go through estate agents as we know everything's covered or try go through an online company and sort it ourselves but we have no idea where to start ... Just looking for some advice on the situation and if anyone has sold a house through purple bricks or someone similar before how did you find it ?
Sorry for the essay for a simple question :/

Abbie tell me to mind my own business but what was your house valued at?

I would say go to an estate agency, you can keep going in and pestering them, and also in the event of a sale, they are extremely useful in chasing solicitors who need a kick up the backside and also they will personally know other agents in your town who may be involved further up/down the "chain" and can liaise with them to get it all chivvied through. I worked in est agency for 12 yrs and I would def recommend going in a lot, if they see your face often, your property will be at the forefront of their mind. Most agents charge 1.5-2%, how much more does that work out for you?
Your Est agent will also be able to answer any queries you have about the whole process.
X

Personally I would definitely advise to avoid Purplebricks. We had them round to value our house and they seemed great, really enthusiastic and thought they could sell it for way above what we had even hoped for. However after being on the market for about 2 and a half months we only had a few viewings and have now just put it up with a local estate agent who already in just a week have got us more viewings! Plus the rubbish thing is we still have to pay Purplebricks even if they don't sell your home!

We have been lucky as the new estate agents have given us a bit of a discount to allow for also paying Purplebricks.

In terms of the legal side some estate agents can also help with this at a reasonable cost as our new estate agent does and much less hassle as it's all in one place.

I think Purplebricks can work but it depends on your area. They don't really help to push the sale, very hard to speak to someone when you need them and you have to do all the viewings yourself.

But just my opinion [emoji4]

Hope that helps x

And if they get paid regardless of whether they sell your house or not, where is the incentive to find you a buyer?

And if they get paid regardless of whether they sell your house or not, where is the incentive to find you a buyer?

Yep! In hindsight it was a very bad idea to go with them but I'm sure like everyone else the idea of saving some money draws you in!

Here in my part of Canada, agents get on average 6% commission. All other fees (lawyer, etc.) are extra. 1.5-2% sounds lovely!

Absolutely, sorry loulou that wasn't being critical or aimed at you :) x

Thank you for all your help! We need a really quick sale as i am 6 months pregnant and want to be out before his here ( I know it may not work out that way ) I think we will stick with the local estate agents as just after them coming over wednesday we've had a phone call saying someone wants to view it and it's not even on the market yet but I think online may be a pain for a quick sale! Sallysally the house was valued at offers over 135000. X

Sent from my SM-T230 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for all your help! We need a really quick sale as i am 6 months pregnant and want to be out before his here ( I know it may not work out that way ) I think we will stick with the local estate agents as just after them coming over wednesday we've had a phone call saying someone wants to view it and it's not even on the market yet but I think online may be a pain for a quick sale! Sallysally the house was valued at offers over 135000. X

Sent from my SM-T230 using SalonGeek mobile app

Abbie,I think you are doing the right thing with an estate agent !! My husband owns an estate agency and he has always spoke negatively about purple bricks,etc.it is all very well saving on agency fees but I don't think when you are selling your own property it is as easy to get the maximum price as I just don't think you would have the experience or strength to negotiate with vendors as well as the agents!! Also the agents are keen for there fees which will work in your favour with getting maximum price and getting the sale through ASAP and as Blossom mentioned they will do a lot of the chasing for you. So yes you save money but what you pay to an agent you will probably gain with getting a slightly higher price for your property!

What ever you decided good luck and I hope everything works out xx

Latest posts

Back