My West Highland White Terrier keeps licking his paws. Can anyone help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the most amazing 12 year old Westie that I adopted almost a year ago who has been having itching issues for the past 2 weeks and has been on antibiotics and a corticosteriod/antihistimine for over a week now with no real results so far. I have done everything proactive to keep her from licking and scratching - keeping little booties on her feet, having her wear a "cone of shame", baths every other day, with prescription shampoo and leave in conditioner with 1% Pramoxine and 1% Diphenhydromine. Today I had her to our groomer and had her shaved. It hurt to see her beautiful white coat cut completely off but in the loth ng run I wanted it off to give her relief.

Once I got her home I noticed she has a slight black rash all over the most common itching areas and inside her ears. Her little vulva is also dark brown and she is licking her paws without abandon; the feet are turning black after being red, then brown and now dark brown. She is biting right above her tail on the top of her back and it too has become red. Her beard is reddish brown. The rest of my beautiful Samantha is a snowy white where she can't reach to itch. when I first took her to her vet, her skin which is usually a very soft pink was almost a bloody heated sunburned color. She is on Confortis for fleas and so fleas are not the issue. I have been feeding her Science Diet Mature formula for Toy and Small Breeds and she was on it prior to my adopting her with her former owner, so we have ruled out food allergies. We do not feed her cheap doggie treats, she gets fresh fruits and vegetables as treats and she gets fresh spring water daily. I am concerned that she is suffering some kind of yeast infection that is not being affected by the steriods. Are there any homeopathic treatments I can try for the possible yeast infections? I really love this sweet little girl. I hate watching her suffer and I am suffering watching her and unable to help her. Any help would be appreciated!

Hi, I posted the original thread and have since changed my Vet. I really wasn't getting anywhere. The new vet put Oscar on Atopica which he takes daily and all his problems have disappeared! Oscar is doing great now. A while back we thought that maybe we would reduce his dose to every other day, but unfortunately the licking started again. He is now back on the original plan of taking 1 daily and he is now a happy little boy.
Someone had mentioned about spraying her little feet to stop her licking. Please don't do this as it could aggitate her more. Oscar clearly had a problem. I had people telling me that is was just a bad habbit, which it clearly wasn't otherwise he would still be licking. Ask your vet about Atopica and see how things go. Keep us informed x

Hi, I posted the original thread and have since changed my Vet. I really wasn't getting anywhere. The new vet put Oscar on Atopica which he takes daily and all his problems have disappeared! Oscar is doing great now. A while back we thought that maybe we would reduce his dose to every other day, but unfortunately the licking started again. He is now back on the original plan of taking 1 daily and he is now a happy little boy.
Someone had mentioned about spraying her little feet to stop her licking. Please don't do this as it could aggitate her more. Oscar clearly had a problem. I had people telling me that is was just a bad habbit, which it clearly wasn't otherwise he would still be licking. Ask your vet about Atopica and see how things go. Keep us informed x

Sorry didnt realise this was an old thread. I am an ex veterinary nurse, with 10 years experience, so only mentioned the spray, if it was habit only, sometimes it is through experience. Obviously if it is something more then this can irritate, as I said if its red raw you should never apply anything.
But you should always take veterinary advice.

Glad to know you got somewhere with the new vet
x

I'm bringing back an old thread to update you all. Well as I mentioned before Oscar was put on atopica for his persistent licking of his paws. I tried to take him off the atopica last year but the licking returned so he went back on it again. About 3 months ago I took him off it again and to my delight he has been great! ! He will lick only occasionally but nothing like before and there have been no underbelly rashes whatsoever. Have waited till now as I didn't want to tempt fate. Wish you all could have seen him today
He was running over 60 acres of a wheat field. He looked like he was laughing. He was so happy and so was I. It was beautiful!

Latest posts

Back