Nails| DIY Manicure Is New Body Shame

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Holy insecurities! Just when you thought we couldn't beat ourselves up about our appearance anymore, there's a new body-shame crime that's causing us to hang out heads in beauty shame. Apparently.

Now that manicures in salons, done by professionals are so much more readily available and so much more economically viable (notice, I didn't say, "cheap") more and more of us are ashamed when we have to resort to an at-home manicure.

With every female counterpart flashing perfectly polished gel nails with perfect shine, shape and not a chip in sight, an at-home mani is becoming more and more noticeable.

But, REALLY? There was a time, not so long ago, when painting your own nails was the absolute pinnacle of grooming. Before the days of two-week manis and all the wonderful nail enhancing stuff out there, if a woman had time to dry her hair, put make up on, assemble some sort of thought-through outfit and paint her nails...then, my goodness. She was as my mother would say, 'very well put together.'

Now though, if your mani isn't perfect then it's just not cutting it. It feels a little like turning up to a wedding with wet hair.

Terrible news for busy women the world over, great news for nail technicians. Apparently, we can't live without you now.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• chipped polish.jpg
    chipped polish.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 217

Latest posts

Back