Natural nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi! Are there many natural nail techs out there? I am going to be starting out mobile in the next few months, once I've built up my kit, experience (and confidence to just put myself out there!) but just offering mani/pedi, no gels, acrylics. I like the idea of keeping it simple, but I wonder how long that will last before I need to take more courses to offer more variety in my services!

I don't do any enhancements at the moment but that will hopefully change by the end of the year! Shellac is my most popular treatment and I have been going for 18 months x

Thank you! I'm sure my thoughts will change with more experience but I'm planning on adding waxing later in the year but no enhancements. I think it's the set up and running costs that are putting me off, in my mind you'd have to have a good client base wanting them for it to be financially viable for a lowly mobile tech just starting out!

I would get 10 basic colours like; 2 for french, a coral, a red, a purple, a brown, a blue and so on and see how you get on and then build as you go? Always take pics and post on facebook and get the word out too x

I would definitely offer gels. In the three years I have been going mobile I've had 2 wanting lacquer. Clients just don't want to pay for something that will chip within days. I am assuming when you said no gels, you meant polish not enhancements? Apologies if you didn't.

I run my mobile business for 2 and a half years and it's natural nails only for me. CND Shellac, InkLondon iLac, Vinylux polish, xLac manicures & pedicures and IBX. I have no interest in extensions what so ever and I believe with correct aftercare, application & removal clients can have good natural nails ☺

I run my mobile business for 2 and a half years and it's natural nails only for me. CND Shellac, InkLondon iLac, Vinylux polish, xLac manicures & pedicures and IBX. I have no interest in extensions what so ever and I believe with correct aftercare, application & removal clients can have good natural nails [emoji5]

It depends on your clientele, you may have no interest in nail extensions but surely some of your clients will? But it depends what you enjoy doing! Some clients nails will NEVER be good, maybe through poor health or medication, then a gel polish or even Ibx may not even cut it!

None of my clients require or request nail enhancements/extensions as they find me for natural nail care. That is my niche. There are 100s of nss salons here who all do various extensions with God know what and my clients come to me as they want to have natural good nails. Not necessarily really long nails but healthy natural nails ☺ if they want extensions then they can go to the high street.

None of my clients require or request nail enhancements/extensions as they find me for natural nail care. That is my niche. There are 100s of nss salons here who all do various extensions with God know what and my clients come to me as they want to have natural good nails. Not necessarily really long nails but healthy natural nails [emoji5] if they want extensions then they can go to the high street.

If natural nail care is your niche that's great [emoji4] but can I point out that having exhancements does not = nail damage! I have lots of natural nail clients as well as clients that have extensions, they all have perfectly healthy nails! Unfortunately nss salons have tainted how people view l&p & gel.

A lot of people who have badly damaged nails from enhancements have gone to the cheap nail places. The 'technician' has used nail tips too small for the nail plate so it causes undue pressure or completely obliterated the nail whilst removing the gel/acrylic/tip. If the application and removal of enhancements is done correctly then the natural nail can remain healthy. Unfortunately people care for the cheap option rather than quality.

I've been doing it mobile for the last year and a half nearly 2 and I've always only done normal mani and pedi's, waxing, facials and massage's. Its only now where with my nails I have started having a few clients become interested in acrylics and extensions, mainly due to there age and them just being curious. I ended up just thinking to myself i might aswel offer it I want to be able to do it fully from home self employed as at the min I work 40hours in a spa, so I've literally just done a course on acrylics it's given me more insight on nails but also I have more options for my clients if they need them with some I'm like ah you could do with hard gel it will help the breaking but never been able to do it on them now I'm fully trained I can properly do things for them and use alsorts. I always think its best to do most courses but that's myself and my opinion, a lot of people would disagree but I'm one of those people who like to do everything and I find being able to offer my clients a few different things, I've gained quite a lot more quiets. Did cost a lot building up my kit but your nails are only as good as your tools. I've used cheap tools and expensive my cheap ones make the prep so much harder where as my expensive brushes one i recommend for acrylics 'the big one' by crystalnails its £32.70 but its awesome to use. I've also had a lot of interest in lashes and extensions which i think my next course will end up having to be eyelash extensions. I just think the more you can offer people for treatments, the more clients you can gain at home.
xx

Thank you everyone! So many great opinions and things to think about. I'm in awe of all of you that have set up and made a go of it, I've been an employee in a very different profession for more years than I care to mention and taking the step of investing in such a big change in career is scaring me a little!

Fluffy26 I wasn't implying that enhancements or extensions damage the nail if applied and removed properly , just like gel/ hybrid gel polish but most places here do not do them properly. They can't even do a standard gel polish application or removal without using g an efile!!!

I do gel polish, L&P tips, overlays and sculpts, ibx and luxury manicure and pedicure.
I haven't yet had an appointment for a manicure or pedicure using polish.
All my clients want gel or L&P as they can do a regular polish themselves

I would consider something like shellac as I stopped offering enhancements ages ago for various reasons and I've had a lot of success with shellac, gelish, pedicures and minx. I'm also a hairdresser so it's not my main income but I consider myself "natural nails only" as I don't offer any enhancements just gel polish with some glitter and simple nail art. Xx

Fluffy26 I wasn't implying that enhancements or extensions damage the nail if applied and removed properly , just like gel/ hybrid gel polish but most places here do not do them properly. They can't even do a standard gel polish application or removal without using g an efile!!!

Oh I know, I did get what you were saying! [emoji3] I just wanted to champion us nail techs out there that do a good job in the application of enhancements ...... There's still a few of us about! [emoji6][emoji106]X

Latest posts

Back