Neglected nail tech student at a cosmetology school

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I have dreams of opening a nail bar. I have been enrolled in a nail tech course at a local (30 miles from my home) cosmetology school for two months.

Prior to enrolling, I checked their website and found that they offered the course. Well, upon enrolling, I learned that I was the only nail tech student at the school at a particular location. I was also told that the state of Louisiana doesn't have certification for "Nail Tech Instructors," so all of my coursework would be taught by cosmetologists. I found that a bit strange, but I went with the flow.

For the first 4 weeks I was in class (theory) with the other cosmetologist students because we were covering similar topics--disinfection, etc. Afterwards, I was pulled because my book would cover more nail information and their books were venturing into hair care, etc. I have a "student" instructor who sits with me for "class" and she reads to me from the book, sometimes I read. There was even a time when she was showing me the eponychium on her finger but was actually pointing to the hyponychium (I knew this from reading ahead). It wasn't until she read a bit further that she re-adjusted and correctly pointed to the eponychium.

I purchased the OPI student kit from the school for an additional $225 because their basic kit really didn't have much. The head instructor has sat with me twice to demonstrate a procedure--manicure and applying tips and acrylic. The "student" instructor demonstrated pedicures to me and the cosmetology students. The school only offers manicures and pedicures to the public.

Although I received acrylic, I am not allowed to practice on the public. Additionally, my instructor informed me that the acrylic the school uses is cheap so even if I did practice on a student, it would probably lift. The students have so much to complete before they can receive a service from another student--5 doll heads, 5 hours on Sat and they must help clean each day for a week before a service can be rendered. Because of that restriction, I usually practice on my "nail trainer." They do not have technology for gel, shellac, etc.

Another "student" teacher purchased the system for CND shellac and I used it for the first time on her yesterday. It's her personal system so continuous practice isn't feasible. I also purchased my own nail art brushes and have been watching youtube at school to learn designs or other procedures.

The cosmetology students receive much more one on one or guidance and I guess that's due to the teachers' comfort level. I just feel a bit frustrated :mad: and have come to the conclusion that this course (6-months in length but 4.5 since I'm doing extended hours) is a means to get the hours to take my boards.

Is this normal training? What else can I do? I would have surely gone to another school, but this school has a monopoly--there is not another that offers nail tech within a 60 miles radius.:Scared:

Thank you for your assistance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't want to read and run.

It sounds like they're trying but it doesn't sound ideal.

Get what you can from the course and then see what options you have after that. Hope you get what you want.

A lot of college products aren't very good so learn what you can and then maybe look at training with a product house after qualifying.

I had a similar situation up here in Massachusetts. There's only one school near me and it was AWFUL. I got through it, took the state boards and got my license. Once I found the Fingernailfixer (blog, facebook, youtube) I felt like I was finally learning something. I take every distributor course I can find (such as CND master painter) but it's hard because they're few and far between. I practice on friends and family and work at a spa that only does natural nails and shellac. I'm confident that I'll get where I want to be, it's just going to take a lot longer than it would if I had gone to a good school or was able to apprentice under someone. Don't give up! :)

I'm with you!

I'm the only nail tech student at my beauty school. I'm surrounded by 50 seventeen year olds. The school is old, cheap and the area is poor. My teacher is older, knows older methods and doesn't know much about all the new stuff. I have spent a lot of extra money on my own product and tools. I learn more from watching you tube videos and reading websites from my cell while in school. I do have an advantage where I can put product on people but only if they come and pay for the service and that rarely happens because they don't advertise they have a nail tech and they are still too cheap to pay $20 for a set from a novice. I had to pass basic before that and that was just doing a manicure, pedicure, set of gels, acrylics and wraps. I've pretty much paid $3000 to sit around and self learn. Seems pretty normal in the states. :( But, I'm pushing on. I'm on another US based nail tech board and I was lucky to find 2 nail tech's within and hour or two from me. I am able to do up to 60 salon hours towards my schooling so I go there. I've been to see each one once and plan to keep going back until they get tired of me, lol. They'd been great mentoring me and giving me tips. See if you can find some techs in your area that are willing to mentor you. :)

Poor thing :( The best thing you can do is get yourself on the CND starter course, this is the uk link Courses but I am sure your be able to find one near you. Its not 'cheap' but its worth every penny. These guys will be there for you through out your career, to help and guide you through anything nails! Their products are one of the best, if not THE best out there. Also you will find once you learn how to apply them right you will have complete confidence in your product. Nail education you will find is about life long learning. Also like the above poster said 'fingernailfixer' is a great tutor! Look her up on youtube or face book. You can also find the CND tutorials on youtube. You can learn allot from watching people like these. :)

I wish I could say cnd has been helpful to me. I can't get any classes in my area aby time soon.

My sister went through the same thing in Ohio. Her school was supposed to be the bet nail school around only to discover it was the worst! She too had cosmetology instructors teaching her about nails. She was told that she had to do all her learning herself. She finally went o the head instructor and told her that she was paying a lot of money to learn and they weren't teaching her. She said she wanted her money back and was going to report them to the state board. After complaining, they finally brought in a nail tech instructor. She was lucky that I could help her with a lot of stuff but it shouldn't have had to come to that. The school has since pulled their nail tech program!
I went to cosmetology school and I have to admit, nails weren't really a focus in the program. They showed us some stuff but I learned a lot on my own.

Just hang in there, and I'm sure if you have questions, someone here will be happy to answer them for you!

Thank you ladies. As unfortunate as it may seem, I am relieved to know that I am not alone in this situation. I will definitely look up the CND Courses.I was also given a name of a nail tech and I will ask if she can mentor me or mind me hanging out at her business to watch and learn. I just become so frustrated paying $3,00+, driving 30 miles each way, only to be read to from the book and watch YouTube videos. I received an OPI nail kit and has some rods in it. I'm assuming they are C-curve shaping rods but my instructor told me they are for holding a nail to do nail art. I have five in a pack. Right now, I'm at school and just searching through the forum soaking in what I can. Yesterday, I did an overlay on a classmate with no guidance. When the head instructor taught me, she stated, start at the free edge and move towards the eponycium. Yesterday, the "student" instructor told me after she saw me doing that, that I should start at the eponycium and move towards the free edge (neither of them used this terminology, I'm trying to train myself in using correct terms). I have no confidence in them. As I type this, one of the instructors is giving extreme guidance to a cosmetology student on waxing the eyebrows on a client. I am extremely jealous, I want assistance too :cry: Thank you for the advice and your ear; I truly truly appreciate it and look forward to learning from you!!

Thank you ladies. As unfortunate as it may seem, I am relieved to know that I am not alone in this situation. I will definitely look up the CND Courses.I was also given a name of a nail tech and I will ask if she can mentor me or mind me hanging out at her business to watch and learn. I just become so frustrated paying $3,00+, driving 30 miles each way, only to be read to from the book and watch YouTube videos. I received an OPI nail kit and has some rods in it. I'm assuming they are C-curve shaping rods but my instructor told me they are for holding a nail to do nail art. I have five in a pack. Right now, I'm at school and just searching through the forum soaking in what I can. Yesterday, I did an overlay on a classmate with no guidance. When the head instructor taught me, she stated, start at the free edge and move towards the eponycium. Yesterday, the "student" instructor told me after she saw me doing that, that I should start at the eponycium and move towards the free edge (neither of them used this terminology, I'm trying to train myself in using correct terms). I have no confidence in them. As I type this, one of the instructors is giving extreme guidance to a cosmetology student on waxing the eyebrows on a client. I am extremely jealous, I want assistance too :cry: Thank you for the advice and your ear; I truly truly appreciate it and look forward to learning from you!!

You poor thing! It's truly pathetic that you are paying so much for your education and no one is teaching you.
The rods in your kit are c-curve rods. Don't worry about those quite yet. You can start at either "end" of the nail whether it be the free edge or cuticle area. When I first started doing nails, I started at the free edge, now It just depends on what kind of look I'm achieving. I hate to say this but I bet you can find some good tutorials on YouTube. Especially look at Young Nails tutorial videos and Naio nails.
I've been doing nails for 17 years and I'm still learning!

Why not look at it as a opening if there is a need for decent schools in nails why not try and open one that teaches correct procedure etc. You never know till you give it a go. You don't need to teach just find great teachers.

Hi i live in california and its the same thing!....... schools are very bad here. No body pays attention to the nail technicians. I also thought the cosmetologi students were getting all the attention but even they were complaining they too dont get the attention they deserve.

My advice to any one wanting to be a nail tech is to find the cheapest school in your area. and join the school. there is no point in paying more for the same service as the cheaper schools. we dont get any attention. all schools are the same! ive heard many bad stories from many nail technicians YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!

n yes take all the extra classes you can. CND is always good choice. school is only to get your licence... dont worry study on your own and prepare your self for the state board.

Latest posts

Back