Never done a buff off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velevetcu

Reaction score
Hello

I use shellac and a friend at work has asked me to do her nails on Monday. She already has gel polish on which she says is shellac but when I asked her how they normally remove them she said they file them off.

I've asked her to find out what it is she has on and even asked if she could get it removed first but in case she doesn't, what do I do? I've only ever used shellac so have do idea how to remove a buff off gel!

Hiya,
if it's really CND Shellac you can wrap and soak it off. If it's another brand of gel polish, you need a file for enhancements like 100 grit to file off the top layer then you can wrap it and soak off. If it's a hard gel (for extensions or overlays) these must be filed off completely as they won't soak off in acetone. If in doubt about whether it's truly CND Shellac, always buff top layer off then soak. It could save you a lot of time wasted and stress in removal (been there!)

I love it when they tell you it's shellac but actually it isn't!! 😡

Sounds to me like it must be overlays because she says they don't soak it at all.

How long does it take to file off?

some of the 'cheaper' brands dont soak off. in which case, light buff with 100 to get the top coat off and you will find that the colour will come off easily,so i usually swap to a finer grit file so i dont damage the natural nail. Best thing is to take your time and dont panic. once you have done it a few times you will find it super easy.

but i do agree with Cindy1005, try to soak off first :)

I'm very worried about it! 😖

I'm going to check with her that she understands that shellac is a polish not an overlay

I'm very worried about it! 😖

I'm going to check with her that she understands that shellac is a polish not an overlay

Don't bother, people are always convinced it's definitely shellac. Your best bet is to buff off the shine (and maybe some of the colour but make sure you can't see any natural nail) then soak in acetone and wrap. Good luck, I think we've all had a "it's definitely (insert brand here)" and it's turned out to be a nightmare to remove. Don't let it phase you, explain while you soak it off how much damage buffing can do to the natural nail, you might have a new regular soon enough xx

I had a call yesterday from someone who had "Shellac" wanted it removed and new gel polish applied. I asked her where she had her "Shellac" done and when she told me I had to decline. I told her to go back there and ask them to remove it. She told me she didn't want to as it hurts so much as they take half her nail off and it's red raw. "Yep, that's what you get for going to NSS honey. Good luck with that. Bye!!"

Never, ever again will I remove NSS work. Have you seen the state of the nails underneath if they've been going a while?!:eek::eek::eek: as the last therapist I'm likely to get the blame. No thank you.

Latest posts

Back