New geek here! Staff issues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cocopopsilove

Reaction score
hello everyone!

I have a slight dilemma so came across this forum and thought id see if anyone replies :)

I have a small hair salon with 4 staff. a week ago one of my stylists suddenly asked for a week off starting that day due to a grandparent being ill and wanting to spend time with them (a bit long and last minute i thought, but ok) I had to get my part timer to work more hours to cover the appointments. The grandparent then died the day before she was due back to work so suddenly she wants yet another week off- re arranged the part timers hours and covered it again, the day after she's due back next week she goes on holiday (not actually going on holiday but has recently booked 5 days off) so my part timer was already set to cover that, so shes pretty much only going to be working 3-4 days this whole month in the end.

My part timer (who I prefer as a person, team member and hairdresser) has asked me if she can work full time now- i really don't have enough work for them all to be F/T but i don't want to lose her. The girl who's been off is not an angel of an employee at all and ive been thinking recently if she's someone i want to keep, even before the grandparent issue. She's been employed for just over a year so its not as simple as getting rid i believe.

does anyone have any suggestions?

Not really a great time to approach this with the full timer. Maybe she'd be open to a part time position?

Dont think you can just cut her hours and give to the other member of staff. Maybe ask her if she would prefer to work less hours. If not check with A cas before you do anything.

As previously advised, contact ACAS for advice on dismissal or renegotiating her contract.

However, what's the vibe within the team like?
Whenever a member of staff is sacked or someone is promoted, given more responsibility etc. there's often a period of transition for the team to re-adjust and it needs to be managed carefully. You need to ensure the remaining members feel valued and supported. Anxious staff do not perform well.

hello everyone!

I have a slight dilemma so came across this forum and thought id see if anyone replies :)

I have a small hair salon with 4 staff. a week ago one of my stylists suddenly asked for a week off starting that day due to a grandparent being ill and wanting to spend time with them (a bit long and last minute i thought, but ok) I had to get my part timer to work more hours to cover the appointments. The grandparent then died the day before she was due back to work so suddenly she wants yet another week off- re arranged the part timers hours and covered it again, the day after she's due back next week she goes on holiday (not actually going on holiday but has recently booked 5 days off) so my part timer was already set to cover that, so shes pretty much only going to be working 3-4 days this whole month in the end.

My part timer (who I prefer as a person, team member and hairdresser) has asked me if she can work full time now- i really don't have enough work for them all to be F/T but i don't want to lose her. The girl who's been off is not an angel of an employee at all and ive been thinking recently if she's someone i want to keep, even before the grandparent issue. She's been employed for just over a year so its not as simple as getting rid i believe.

does anyone have any suggestions?
Under 2 years you can get rid of her quite easily.

Vic x

As previously advised, contact ACAS for advice on dismissal or renegotiating her contract.

However, what's the vibe within the team like?
Whenever a member of staff is sacked or someone is promoted, given more responsibility etc. there's often a period of transition for the team to re-adjust and it needs to be managed carefully. You need to ensure the remaining members feel valued and supported. Anxious staff do not perform well.

The vibe in the team has been amazing in the time she's off. Everyone has mentioned how lovely and calm it's been. When I said she's not been a great employee and I was thinking of this before, what I meant was she's the only person who gives me a few issues and doesn't get on with other staff she's like the black sheep of the salon. She's often late and it literally depends on her mood of the day to how she's going to be that day at work.

Dont think you can just cut her hours and give to the other member of staff. Maybe ask her if she would prefer to work less hours. If not check with A cas before you do anything.

She wouldn't go part time she needs the money.

The vibe in the team has been amazing in the time she's off. Everyone has mentioned how lovely and calm it's been. When I said she's not been a great employee and I was thinking of this before, what I meant was she's the only person who gives me a few issues and doesn't get on with other staff she's like the black sheep of the salon. She's often late and it literally depends on her mood of the day to how she's going to be that day at work.

Sounds like a no brainer and you need to let her go.
You can write to her and dismiss her whilst she's 'on holiday' and include her final pay (plus any outstanding holiday/notice pay). You don't have to wait until she's back in work. This way, there's less chance of her discussing the situation with your remaining staff or poaching clients.

Sounds like a no brainer and you need to let her go.
You can write to her and dismiss her whilst she's 'on holiday' and include her final pay (plus any outstanding holiday/notice pay). You don't have to wait until she's back in work. This way, there's less chance of her discussing the situation with your remaining staff or poaching clients.

That's a good idea to write to her whilst she's off work anyway. I've never written it in a letter before could you give me an Idea what I'm ment to write? Thank you

You can google sample termination letters online.

However, do you have a staff handbook containing your salon policies that you can refer to in the termination letter?
It should normally set out your expectations about basic hygiene protocols, timekeeping, staff training, holiday cover, etc.

If not, I think you'd be better off speaking to someone at ACAS who can help you draft a termination letter and also give you general advice on what information a basic staff handbook should include. In future, if you have any other staff issues, referring back to your handbook should be your first step in any formal disciplinary process and will ultimately make life easier for you.

I've edited this post to add:

As a hairdressing salon, I'd strongly recommend you join the National Hairdressers' Federation.

http://www.nhf.info/home/

They have sample salon handbooks that you can download and template letters plus lots of useful support and advice on a range of matters tailored to running a hairdressing business unlike ACAS which will be more generic and solely concerned with employee relations.

Last edited:
I didn't realise that you can just let her go without any reason. Wouldn't this be unfair dismissal? I've got in place- and setting more up as we speak- formal appraisal templates and performance reviews, time in/out sheets etc. as I had a very similar experience before but couldn't dismiss her due to pregnancy. I've been advised by lawyers friends to do all that- simply good practice is what I'm told. I have a big problem with assertiveness (quite the chicken!!) and having these in place is frankly a big help and forces me to deal with the issues, however small, as they arise with all staff. Also, it means I can give positive reviews as well- good for all parties.
On what grounds would you dismiss her?

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here but, I appears that you haven't been happy with this employee for while and that fact that she has had a family bereavement seems to have finalised your resolve to let her go. I think one should at least have the respect to dismiss an employee face to face instead of a cowardly letter whilst they are away on holiday, recovering from a loss - unless of course you feel you, your business or employees are in danger from this person. If you are unhappy with staff performance, address it, set target/goal based reviews, monitor and document their performance so as to provide them with solid information as to why they are not performing well for your business. Often, when you start pushing sloppy staff to at least achieve their contractual obligations they don't stay long.

Turn it around, how would you like to be treated? if it would hurt you, don't do it to someone else. Part of the trade off for the luxury of owning your own business is, that there are really unpleasant things you have to do, like firing people. You need to like and respect the person you see in the mirror each day, so do it with respect and dignity so you don't have to cringe when you think about how you sacked someone by post, just after her grandmother died.

Latest posts

Back