New opportunity

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently been given an opportunity to rent 3 beauty rooms in a high end salon in a town centre for £500 p/month. I recently qualified as a beauty therapist this year with my level 2 certificate i also do spray tanning and make up. Not sure if i'm ready for this or not although i'm not experienced in beauty therapy i have been a hairdresser for 8 years so have a lot of salon experience and customer experience and would put my all into making the salon a success! At the min i work as a hairdresser in the salon where the beauty rooms are. Not sure how well i'd do with making the money back for rent plus enough to live off as the person who had the rooms before me didn't really do much marketing or put much effort into it tbh :eek:. Was thinking of maybe suggesting i worked as a hairdresser for 3 days a week (so my boss wouldn't lose me plus i still make a bit of secure money!) and open the beauty salon for the other 3 days. If you were in my situation what would you do? Any advise would be very much appreciated! Also if i only opened the salon 3 days a week how much do you think i should offer to pay for it? :confused:

Thanks in advance guys :)

XXX

You are in a fairly unique situation (maybe why no replies yet) The salon owner has stated her price for the rooms and it seems quite fair.
A more experienced therapist would employ other therapists and work like stink to create clients.
If you are hesitant then maybe your gut instinct is telling you that at the moment, this is too big for your level of experience in beauty. A 3 day a week beauty salon is at a huge disadvantage before you even start to try and compete with the other salons around you.
As an experienced salon hairdresser, would you advocate others qualifying as a hairdresser, then immediately working alone? Most of us agree that it is better to work alongside experienced others for a while to build skills, speed and confidence.
If your heart is set on these rooms, my best and most honest advice would be to raise plenty of cash to see you through the first year, and employ another therapist to work with you (an experienced one!). You can always take bookings for hair as well (50/50 with the salon owner?) to keep the cashflow moving.

Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I think this opportunity has come up at the wrong time for me. I have been going over and over what is best for me to do now for 2 weeks since the opportunity came up:confused: Think i will stay working in the salon as a hairdresser and go mobile in my spare time then hopefully get busy and reduce my salon hours down and look into my own salon in a few years time. I know what you mean about gaining experience in the salon alongside other therapists but with going mobile instead i will keep up to date by attending other courses to gain knowledge etc that way!
Thanks again for your advice!:):)
XXX

Latest posts

Back