New products/Treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acheekymunky

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post although I have been a regular viewer (addict) to the site almost every day for the past few months.

I have taken the bull by the horns and enrolled on a beauty therapy and make up course for September which in all honesty is a few years late in the coming but this year I am going to do what I want! (and just fit the full time employment, bills etc around that)

Ideally when I am qualified I would love to have my own business so I am just spending this time gathering research and becoming au fait with the running of a salon and gaining invaluable experience I gaining from all you generous salon geeks.

My question is....are there any websites or sources you turn to to find out about products are yet to be released on the market or new treatments which are going to be the next big thing?!

How do you lot keep one step ahead?

I would be grateful for any advice and thank you in advance for your help

x

I read lots!
I get spirit and destiny magazine, the Guild magazine and I watch any spa like programme on TV.

I trawl the net looking at sites from all over the World.

I often find a treatment that I would like to do then search to find a suitable college/tutor to learn it.

Thinks just seem to slot into place.

If I go into a busy newsagents my eyes are drawn to certain publications and when I flick through them, theres an article of great interest in there.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the site x
As said above keep in touch with what's going on with the mags etc.
And get a website set up..Ruth Mills ..one of our geeks is fab at this.

One of the best industry magazines you can get is Professional Beauty. Professional Beauty and Professional Spa - Welcome

There are more out there but that is a good starting point. Of course there are also the trade shows too which is a great place to see new products.

Good luck! :hug:

hi! i live in a smallish town, so its important i keep up with the lastest additions to the beauty industry some how! i recommend the trade shows, olympia, earls court in london is great, its a trek there but well worth it! all the new things are there and you get to talk to the pros about the treatments and products. a slightly easier option is the industry magazines. i get several sent monthly eg health and beauty salon mag and theres articles and adverts on new products and treatments. the celeb mags eg ok! heat etc have all the top probucts that the celebs use! good luck!

Thank you for your tips everyone!

I spent yesterday having a look at some of the sites recommended and will definately be going to some trade shows.

At the moment I am trying to find some make up artists in my area that I could shadow for the day etc.

bye for now

A x

Hi A,
welcome to this wonderful site, have you thought of having treatments done yourself to see what it feels like and how things work so to speak, coupled with this you can surf the internet, look at magazines like the others above have advised. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your course all goes well in September :hug:

I think that is definately something I am lacking at the moment - experiencing treatments myself! In all honesty its just the limited income I have at the moment which is stopping me.

Unfortunately as I am over 25 and already have level 2 qualifications it looks like I will be the only person on my course who is paying full fees! A tad unfair I think especially as the older you get the more praise and help should be available to you as it is such a big commitment and brave thing to change career direction!

I am going to get threading done this month though and then try something new each month to gain experience of the treatments and also the different customer service experience from different salons.

Thank you for the post which recommended makeupgeek site. I love it! spent most of yesterday watching the tutorials and I am now excited more than ever about doing my course!!

Keep em coming,

Thanks everyone

x

Hi a Cheeky Munky!
Thinking about your fees, have you looked into whether you could get some kind of grant as a part-time student? I know this is available in Wales (Assembly Learning grant) and some colleges have a pot of money that students apply to to help them fund their course, money towards your kit, uniform, etc. It depends upon your circumstances but you never know you ,ay be eligible for something. Check with the college you are starting with.

Good Luck!:)

Latest posts

Back