New salon advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautie

Reaction score
Hi all!

Just looking for some advise please :) I'm in no rush what so ever because I want it to be perfect and am currently trolling the internet for research, but I'm looking for a premises for a beauty salon. I've just emailed rightmove for info on a property in my local town. It's in a busy town centre and this particular premises is the 1st floor of a building which already has another business on the ground floor (there is separate entry and will have nothing to do with the business below).
I'm currently renting a room in a hair salon down the road from this building & although my client base has continuously grown from day one and I'm taking a good wage, I still have days where I can be quiet but the busy days out way these. I have worked out with the rent, bills etc I will still be able to take some wage to live off if my clients continue to follow me (and hopefully gain more along the way as a bonus).

I have started a business plan and just want some advise really from therapists in this situation. How long did it take you from start to finish to open up, what were the first steps you took & all the things you didn't even think about when setting up a salon. What main things do I need to consider and what do I need to look out for?

It's very early days, but like I said, I am trying to do as much research as i possibly can so that I do it right without minimal problems!

I appreciate everyone who's read this - I'll shut up now!! Thanks for your replies in advance! X

Sorry - forgot to say I'm looking at expanding so I'm looking for a bigger place with more than one treatment room to take people on once I'm busier or someone with a client base already… My treatment room is tiny at the moment and the salon isn't very professional in my opinion.

Hi all!

Just looking for some advise please :) I'm in no rush what so ever because I want it to be perfect and am currently trolling the internet for research, but I'm looking for a premises for a beauty salon. I've just emailed rightmove for info on a property in my local town. It's in a busy town centre and this particular premises is the 1st floor of a building which already has another business on the ground floor (there is separate entry and will have nothing to do with the business below).

I'm currently renting a room in a hair salon down the road from this building & although my client base has continuously grown from day one and I'm taking a good wage, I still have days where I can be quiet but the busy days out way these. I have worked out with the rent, bills etc I will still be able to take some wage to live off if my clients continue to follow me (and hopefully gain more along the way as a bonus).

I have started a business plan and just want some advise really from therapists in this situation. How long did it take you from start to finish to open up, what were the first steps you took & all the things you didn't even think about when setting up a salon. What main things do I need to consider and what do I need to look out for?

It's very early days, but like I said, I am trying to do as much research as i possibly can so that I do it right without minimal problems!

I appreciate everyone who's read this - I'll shut up now!! Thanks for your replies in advance! X

Contact your local council see what property they own in your area before you commit to any properties, my salon is hair but I had to start from scratch so I guess it's kind of similar, the refurb took 3 months (friends and family time scale lol) the first things I did was do my biz plan, secure the property, make sure it was A1 , get insurance, get phone & Internet, by then the refurb was underway, it took 3 months because finances were super tight and everyone who helped worked full time, I was desperate to open in early October so ended up doing all the plumbing & painting myself lol, fire saftey needs addressing, radio licences x 2 & also tv licence aswell if your having one & bins need to be organised, then ovs staff & stock, marketing needs to start before you open too, I had an open day on the Sunday before I opened too so the locals and friends and family could have a good look before we officially opened, hope that's some help & if I think of anything else I'll add it on :) good luck x

We would echo Kahuna Hair's comment regarding insurance, it is important that you obtain this and ensure you have adequate cover. We see a number of salons that underinsure and when a claim happens the amount they receive is less that they are claiming for. Basically the last thing you will want is having gone through all the expense of setting up a new salon only to have a major claim leave you out of pocket, potentially not being able to replace everything damaged and in the worse scenario putting you out of business.

Latest posts

Back