New salon owner just wanting some advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpuppy

Reaction score
I've been a stalker of Salon Geek for a while now and only just signed up now as I'm officially a shop owner! :eek::)

I'm renting out a whole shop which I'm going to make in to a hair & nail salon with the hope to eventually evolve to include beauty treatments.

The shop is on a really busy corner in Coventry. what do i need to let the council know about? I'm not doing any building work just doing a makeover inside the property I'm renting, do i still need to inform them?

I am currently trained in doing hair, beauty and nails and I'm in the last month till i finish my degree in Business Management. However i will NOT be working in my shop. I think it will be to much hassle trying to run and work at the same time in the first few months.

I'm going to be working on a rent a chair basis as i think this will work out better for the shop. i will be providing all products and everything for the hairdressers and nail tech so all they have to do is show up with there clients and work.

so my questions are:

1) do i charge the same price to rent a chair for the nail tech as the hair dresser? i don't think its fair but how much roughly should the price differnce be in order for it to be "fair"? and for any Midlanders what is the "average" rent a chair charges. I've did a few calls around and the prices range from £25-£250 a week! i was thinking at going in at £100 and if i cant get any hairdressers to commit to that lower it?

2)those of you who rent a chair or rent a chair out do you wear a uniform? i would like all the staff to wear uniform so it looks professional but do i pay for it or do i get them to pay for it?

3) what insurance do i need and who do i need to inform? i have ELC and PLC but what else do i need for a salon doing hair treatments and polishes/ acrylics and gel nails? or is it best to get a policy that covers salon treatments (massage etc) so that when the time comes i'm not having to change the contract.

4) does my insurance need to include the staff that rent a chair, if so does that mean the staff don't need there own as there then covered under my policy?

sorry this is a little long winded :eek: i just want to get the legal side out the way so i'll be happy and ready to start.

Hi congratulations.

I have opened my salon last year. It was estate agent before .it is hard work to make all ready.Yes I had to building work .
You need to apply for planning permission which business you going to open. If it is ok for hair and beauty then fine check with your agent. But still need no objection letter from planning permission .
Once you sign the lease then you need to inform council and inform them that this business is yours and they will send you business rate details.
Music licence, public liability, stock and building, content insurances you need to take . Yes if you renting out chair then you don't need public liability, they will do them self. But it's not strait forward when you not there.

I did £50 a day for hair dressing renting chair or £150 for a week.
But it didn't work for me so I had to employ staff and to find right staff was a mission .

Now it has been one year and I feel settle.
I worked seven days when I opened new business so I don't know how you going to control product, timing and money.

I hope that help,

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mean to upset you just shared my experience.
Also please keep each single receipt which you spent in shop it will help at the end of year account .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back